1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP gets Britney's obit ready

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Both were seen as sex symbols in their prime, but Marilyn's will have more impact simply because of the lasting images of her beauty.

With Britney, you go from this...

[​IMG]

to

[​IMG]

Monroe will always be known for her lasting beauty. It still reverberates today as many people compare current stars to her.

On the other hand, Britney will always be known as the teen-pop star who saw it all go downhill (career, family and looks wise).

For the late-teens to 20-something generation, Britney's death may have the same feel as Monroe's, but the everlasting appeal makes it a landslide in Marilyn's favor.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

A blog called x17online is now proudly displaying pictures taken last night of Britney getting out of a car. You can see the blood stains on her white panties, thus proving, the blog says, that she's not pregnant. (They helpfully provide an ultra-close-up.)

This whole thing can't get much weirder.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

OK, between Britney's blood-stained panties and the reference to Peter King licking Brett Favre's anus on another thread, I've had my stomach turned twice today on this board. I think I'll go finish vomiting now.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

In some of the larger news-gathering institutions, this is one person's job -- writing obituaries for people who aren't dead yet. And a good newspaper should have something tucked away for their most newsworthy individuals.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

We had to write an advance obit in my junior-year journalism class. My group chose Cal Ripken Jr. Doesn't mean we wanted him dead.

We all joke about her descent on here. Now, the AP is trying to prepare (god forbid she kick and papers not get an obit within 10 minutes...they'd be screaming bloody murder) and we give them shit for that too?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

went there; didn't see it.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Maybe your brain anticipated it and shut down the feed to your eyes.

8. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So do we need Boom to write an advance sj statement of condolence?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've done similar advance work for coaches firings, but not obits. I guess it's the same concept. Always good to be prepared. But why is AP commenting on Spears' obit? Seems a little attention-whorish.

A local radio personality got a little freaked out on air a couple of years ago when he was told the DMN has his obit in the can.

11. Giggity

Giggity Member

Went there. Saw it. Really really really wish I hadn't. Worst thing since 2 girls, 1 cup.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But the hedline was pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted