1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP gets Britney's obit ready

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jan 17, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I post this in journalism for a couple of reasons.
    First nothing wrong with having a file obit ready for almost any celebrity, but here's my problem, it seems like the AP wanted this out there. You can prepare a file obit without making calls or if you do, you can tell people it isn't for the obit file.
    Seems like a grab at publicity
    Plus, Jesse Washington needs to get punched in the face. "One of the biggest stories in a long time," is he/she fucking serious?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I guess we know who their top Dead Pool candidate is.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

For an entertainment writer, Britney dying would be one of the biggest stories he/she/it has dealt with. I don't see the need for physical violence. It's no different than one of us saying the Patriots are one of the biggest stories in a long time.

Also, AP probably has obits written on almost everyone vaguely important. Makes it easier if somebody dies right on deadline.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I, for one, agree with Mr. Washington. Britney literally self-destructing would make Anna Nicole Smith look like a ninth-grade scrum in comparison. And c'mon, he is the entertainment editor!

rb

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Imagine if someone had Brad Renfro, Britney Spears and Macauley Caulkin all in the same death pool. That's a lot of points.

I can see some outrage in this, like they are planning for her death. I guess it's the same as us sports folk laying out a Super Bowl page in advance.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Brit's death vs. Marilyn Monroe's death.

In terms of cultural impact, not the talent of the individual.

Discuss.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Similar, to be honest. Brit's demise would send some of the same shock waves over a generation of kids, for sure. Monroe's fanbase was a wee bit older.

rb

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Has MacCauley Caulkin had recent issues I missed?

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Fascinating question by double down, who I have decided is the Onion's Scott Tobias and if not, it is a little scary to realize two people are as obsessive about The Wire.
    Anyway, I need to ponder. A thoughtful questions needs a thoughtful answer.
    Point taken on the entertainment angle, but that's not what Washington said. The quote was biggest stories, not biggest entertainment stories. He (I guess this is confirmed?) seemed to imply it would be on par with the death of a president.
    Plus, I have never understood the whole Britney obsession.

10. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

And Washington said "passed away."
    ARRGH

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Just his early drug use that I think will come back very soon to haunt him like other previous teen movie stars. Either that, or Michael Jackson will go deranged. Pick one or the other.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

In his mind though, it probably is one of the biggest stories ever, because that's what he deals with on a daily basis. That's what he cares about.

Whether you like or get Britney or not, her dying would be a huge story. And saying it's one of the biggest stories in a long time is hardly saying it's bigger than the death of a president.

Draft saved Draft deleted