1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP, Gannett refuse to sign SEC's new credential policy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Aug 25, 2009.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Sorry if a DB.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1004005855

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I would expect some appropriate revisions to be announced by the SEC before the week is over.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

As well they should.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

In order to finance an anticipated legal showdown over the policy, Gannett plans to lay off 3 percent of the workforce and cut home delivery to six days.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This does seem like a First Amendment issue. You've got 11 public universities in this consortium known as the SEC, and they're joining together to exercise what looks like prior restraint.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Anything in there gonna stop anybody from publishing anything as an accepted journalistic function?

Is posting Web video the same as publishing in the eyes of the courts? It's been way too many years since my Mass Comm Law class, sorry.

7. bevo

bevo Member

I think most of the Internet stuff nowadays is considered virgin territory for the courts. It's these kind of cases that will decide the future of what can and can't be put online.

8. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Tennessee? Not anymore. They get everything from Knoxville now.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, I don't think so. There's no First Amendment right to access. The papers are free to publish what they want, but the SEC is free to tell them they can't come in the stadium, at least not without buying a ticket.

The fact that they're public universities might color the debate some, but it's not as though I can claim that I have a right to enter any classroom I want at a public university, let alone a football stadium.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Even if you buy a ticket they will attempt to restrain or prohibit you from bringing in a laptop or cameras to report from the stands.

11. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

What is the SEC trying to gain by this? I don't understand how limiting their coverage is a good thing.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Money, power, control ... y'know, the usual. They know their product is so wildly popular they can get away with setting whatever rules they like.

After all, what are those piddly media types going to do, not cover SEC football?

Draft saved Draft deleted