1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP, Gannett refuse to sign SEC credential policy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog428, Aug 25, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

The WEHCO papers (Arkansas Democrat Gazette and Chattanooga Times Free Press) are also refusing to sign. Chattanooga covers both UT and Georgia. I have heard that Memphis and Knoxville are also not signing.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Why doesn't everyone sign the sheet, then do whatever the hell they want. See if the SEC has some balls to come after them.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Because then they can show you agreed to the terms and have the grounds to come after you. The deal might not hold up legally, but they have the high ground to start with because you consented.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

SEC wants to crack down on fans, too, though I want to say I read the SEC backed off this policy somewhat.

http://deadspin.com/5339099/the-sec-would-prefer-that-you-not-mention-sec-games-to-anyone

"No Twittering. No Facebook photos. No YouTubes. Nothing. If your friend wants to know the score, he can read the paper the next day. A conference spokesperson explains that the goal is "to keep as many eyeballs as possible on ESPN and CBS," because why would I actually watch a football game on TV when I can read about it from 90,000 morons on Twitter? ("ZOMG. Tebow jst jumped passd again! Lol!")"

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They did back off of this policy.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mainly because it was pointed out just how impossible it would be to enforce.

Can you imagine the geriatric ushers at most SEC stadiums sitting through the meeting to discuss the policy? "You want us to stop people from Tweeting? So they aren't allowed to blow tin whistles during the game?"

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

"Is that an IPhone in your flask, son?"
    "No officer, just Jack Daniels."
    "Carry on then."

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You are correct. The Scripps guys aren't signing, either, per friends who work at both places.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Spnited,

A vast majority of us "homers," at least from reputable outlets, are fighting this as hard as we can. It's a shitty situation, especially so close to the season with so many of our jobs already at risk, but our lawyers are fighting this.

Probably not the best time for SEC homer jokes.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I understand that some sort of compromise was being worked on and that there may be an announcement today.

Draft saved Draft deleted