1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP, Gannett refuse to sign SEC credential policy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog428, Aug 25, 2009.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

Two questions:

- How many papers have signed?
    - Why did AP consent to similar restrictions with respect to NFL?

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Why did any paper agree to similar NFL restrictions?

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why would a newspaper in New York agree to restrictions on how to cover the Mets? Pretty sure you can't put up video from a Mets game on a newspaper Web site, either.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Didn't the SEC already back away and revise the policy once? Maybe last week? I'd be stunned if they allow AP and Gannett to not cover them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's kind of a question of who needs who more at this point. Frankly, I think the SEC has the upper hand over a supposedly dying medium.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I wonder how much the fact that many of these schools are public universities, with athletic departments -- including football programs -- that are operating with the use of tax dollars, will play into any prolonged fight?

The NFL is one thing. It's a private business that's free to impose any restrictions it pleases. And whatever access it allows the media can absolutely be for its benefit. The schools in the SEC, excluding only Vandy, I believe, aren't in the same boat. They're parks with classrooms. Public dollars fund a good bit of what's going on inside those stadiums. I understand the SEC has a right to earn its money, but I wonder where the line is in terms of restricting access to and the dissemination of information from public sporting events involving public institutions?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One day, teams will boot us completely. The press box will be remodeled into a luxury box. Fans will have to go to the school's Web site to read the "Krystal Game Report" or watch the "Coca-Cola Highlights."

They have to monetize everything. Cutting the middleman is one way they can make money from the fans.

8. Note to self: 1) Update resume with web skills. 2) Get some web skills.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No newspaper is resisting signing this because of any restrictions on its newspaper product.

This is almost exclusively a new-media play, for both Gannett and the AP.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Here are the rules:
    - No use by newspapers of video and audio game highlights on their Web sites. Fuck You.

- Time-limited restrictions on use of post-game and pre-game video and audio. Fuck You.

- Photographs may only be used online as part of regular news coverage, not for other purposes, archives or sale. I think the selling of photographs by newspapers is an interesting discussion.

- The SEC and its universities must be granted licensing privileges to use newspaper images for its own news coverage and other uses. Eat Shit and hire your own photogs.

- No blogging on newspaper Web sites of game events during games. Fuck You.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The game is changing and anyone who signs away their rights willy nilly is foolish.

12. [​IMG]

I made you an appointment.

Draft saved Draft deleted