1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP, Gannett refuse to sign SEC credential policy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog428, Aug 25, 2009.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I know there has to be a thread for this somewhere, but I can't find it. So, if not, here ya go. If so, move along.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1004005855

Some of us just had our weekends open up.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why would any newspaper or media outlet agree to this bullshit.

The only response should be FUCK YOU, SEC!

Of course, this is what happens when all these SEC fucking homer newspapers kiss ass for too long.

3. Seriously. Just stop it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Spnited,
    Your first two sentences I agree with.
    The last one is OB; it's more of Mike Slime and his attorneys trying to ride the wave of popularity than papers kissing ass. I would suspect you'll see more chains and larger papers/media organizations doing this.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

spnited, if you think SEC-area papers have a monopoly on kiss-ass coverage, you've had your eyes closed for all 127 years of your life. Regardless, it's irrelevant to this discussion.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wonder if that applies to the Gannett TV stations and, more interesting to me, is that if you read the new SEC policy, you need now need credentials to cover practices.
    So does this mean no SEC coverage, at all, by AP and Gannett? Would AP even send out the little daily trainers off practice?
    And how does that impact Gannett papers that don't normally cover SEC, but a local school is playing an SEC team. That paper would have to get credentials if the school is playing at an SEC team, so what does that do to them?
    To fill the holes would papers hire stringers to provide coverage, or would the papers run a note?
    I suspect the SEC will scurry away from its position as quickly as possible, but I could be wrong and then it might get interesting.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You gotta believe the SEC will back off of this silly policy thing. And real soon.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because of the AP, maybe. But not because the News-Star in Monroe, Louisiana, got pissed off. The SEC doesn't give a shit about small- to medium-sized newspapers covering or not covering its teams. Because the SEC recognizes, correctly, that if there's no coverage in the News-Star, or The Tennessean, or whoever, then readers will blame the paper, not the SEC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, exactly. Plus, it's not like the Tuscaloosa News, Gainesville Sun or any other college-town paper is NOT going to cover the team even if the SEC holds firm with the awful policy.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yep. They'll give a little ground, just because it's better PR. But in a staring contest between the Athens Banner-Herald and the SEC, I'm pretty sure I know who's going to win.

And am I the only one who sees an ulterior motive from Gannett? That maybe they're sitting in the board room saying, 'Finally! The excuse to stop spending money covering the SEC!'

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It was posited on an earlier thread that the SEC, seeing how MLB and the NFL have started their own media outlets with success, wanted the same kind of action. If you believe that, and I think it's entirely plausible, then what reason is there to think the SEC will back down? I'm not expecting any back downage from the conference.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, why would any newspaper agree to these restrictions?

Draft saved Draft deleted