1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Game Story Editing Process

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Sep 19, 2021.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I followed the editing process for game stories at the AP. What's the workflow these days?

Because mistakes like this didn't normally make it into the copy, let alone live on the internet without being immediately corrected.

Cowboys vs. Chargers - Game Recap - September 19, 2021 - ESPN

The player's name is Tony Pollard, not Troy.

Game ended an hour-plus ago, still live on multiple sites.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think the "story editing" process for AP is, member newspapers see an error after the story is sent out, they are nice enough to call/email, and the AP sends out a corrected version.

They slashed most of their editors years ago, and it shows.

Liut, 2muchcoffeeman and wicked like this.
  3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I see more mistakes in AP copy these days, small and large (like the name above). Dang shame.

Liut likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I get the impression reporters at AP might read each other’s copy, but that’s it.

Given the amount of copy they throw out there, they have a really good batting average.

Col. Nathan R. Jessup and Liut like this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

They are like anyone else--understaffed and overworked. It's a Sunday with a full slate of NFL games and MLB games and at least some, if not most, editors jumping between the two. As Wicked notes, the batting average is still pretty good and you can be sure they're disappointed it's not 1.000.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

This doesn't answer your initial question, but ...

That may be due to how the sites are set up, regardless of AP moving an updated version. AP doesn't always just automatically refresh on other outlets' sites. In many places, a digital producer has to cut-and-paste the content into a file in the company content-management system manually.

2muchcoffeeman and MNgremlin like this.
  7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

That's certainly a valid point.

That said, the mistake still lingers in some portions of the official AP site, mainly in briefs and roundups.

Lamar Jackson carries Baltimore past Kansas City 36-35

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The initial Astros-Red Sox gamer said Houston was one win away from its second straight trip to the World Series.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

We sure that Data Skrive didn't make that mistake?

10. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

AP has gone to hell.

The story of the group of Conference USA schools applying for admission to the AAC broke by Yahoo on Monday, ESPN jumped on it Tuesday and - hey! AP! You there? -- they got on it Wednesday.

The odds on games the AP provides? Two days it had Arkansas Pine Bluff by 3 1/2 over Arkansas. By Wednesday it was fixed- Arkansas by 51.

They barely do top 25 midweekers on football teams.

They're basically useless.

Are their state bureaus part time now?

They sure as hell don't miss the Olympics and other perks.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The initial TCU-Iowa State gamer from Friday referred to a game that kicked off at 3 p.m. as having taken place on Saturday night within the first 15 words.

And then again in the fourth paragraph, referred to a touchdown scored on Saturday

And then again, in the notes, referred to a milestone sack having occurred on Saturday.

It edited the first two to Friday but left the last one as Saturday in the write-through

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

AP is pretty strict about not just reporting that some other news source is saying X. The standard there is that their reporters have to have confirmed X before the story will go out.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted