1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP finds Nazi commander, now 94, living in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Strap him to the hospital bed and give him the needle. That'll jog his memory.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But not for long ... fortunately.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

From reports he is in good health. What if he lives two, three years more.

Does that changed your opinion, or do you think the case against him just isn't worth any further investigation?

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Hey, I merely asked the question, I didn't say they shouldn't.

Just pointing out the sad truth about the situation. An extradition and international criminal prosecution is a costly process that takes long ass time and involves lots of lawyers, and in this case you're not exactly getting much retribution payoff at the end (and a decent chance none if he dies before getting to a verdict). If a fugitive reaches his mid-90s before getting caught, suffice to say he pretty much got away with it.

But, yeah, I'd say they still must do it. If they can get this guy officially branded a war criminal before his death, it's at least worth something. But they better get on it.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He should be extradited to Israel and hanged for crimes against humanity. Period.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter to me whether he's in reasonably good health or knocking on death's door. Prosecute the fucker to the extent of our ability, if only to send a clear message to those who commit these acts -- past, present and future -- that such behavior is not and will not be accepted.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I'm glad you feel the case against him warrants further investigation. I wasn't sure based on your posts.

The sad truth of the situation isn't how old he is, that doesn't matter. What matters is that we as a society hold a person accountable for their actions, which in this case include the slaughter of men, women and children.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The other aspect of this is to never ever let anyone forget what happened, as stated above by many posters.

There are way too many Holocaust deniers in this world.

Cases like this serve as a reminder that the Holocaust happened and could happen again if the past is forgotten, ignored, and/or denied.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Never forget and stop proclaiming what happened. Never let it die.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

How do you handle a case that is 70 years old (be it this or any other) unless there is an admission or some kind of verifiable paper trail? I certainly don't think you can consider any eye witness testimony 100 percent accurate.

As someone stated above, being a Nazi hunter would be an awesome job -- probably not so much in 2013, but 1953 it would be have been kick ass.

11. Yep, I have no idea what this guy did or didn't do, but I don't think most Americans fully appreciate how comparatively "easy" we've had things in modern history.

For all the valiant heroism of our grandparents and great-grandparents in the two world wars, we've never been occupied, forced to flee as refugees, had whole cities bombed to smithereens or any number of other horrible things that befell Europe.

And for the people caught between Nazism and Stalinism...well, it wasn't a real swell choice either way. And in the Ukraine specifically, it wasn't like you could just stay on the sidelines.

For further context, since the Ukraine had come under Soviet control, the people endured a massive Soviet-induced famine and purges that saw thousands executed or sent to labor camps.

So even those who weren't thrilled when the Nazis marched in probably weren't crying about losing Soviet rule. In fact, many thought that German control offered a better hope of independence after the war. (That's may be unlikely, but the Soviet victory sure didn't work out real well for them, either).

This is not a defense of this dude, necessarily, but merely a reminder that history is often in shades of gray -- not the black and white, good and evil that we Americans prefer.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Didn't it say he wrote a book about it?

Draft saved Draft deleted