1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP female athlete of the year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Dec 21, 2011.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Who votes for this thing? Granted, this is a who-cares? item as far as news value is concerned, but can someone explain how Yani Tseng manages to be out of the top three?

(To bring the uninitiated up to speed, she's a pro golfer who won 12 times in 2011, including two majors.)

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The fact that you have to describe who she is in your initial post probably isn't a great sign - just throwing that out there.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Who won?

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Abby Wambach won.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

She won after she lost?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every AP outlet gets one vote. I voted for Wambach.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a wise guy here Inky, just curious. Why Wambach?

8. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Given the timing of her goals and her individual play in the World Cup, I can see Wambach getting the nod. It seems far more offensive that Hope Solo would be the second-place finisher. For the top two finishers to come from a team that was the runner-up just doesn't make a lot of sense.

9. Inky_Wretch

I'm sure my soccer bias played a role, but she (and Solo) were the only two who I could instantly picture playing their sport. Wambach's header was, to me, the most memorable moment in women's sports this year.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did you consider the golfer, Inky? Based on that resume she seems to have had a far superior year to Wambach.

Having said that, I didn't even know who she was until this thread, so I would have had a hard time voting for her.

11. Inky_Wretch

Never even thought about her. Nice resume, but I'd wager more Americans saw Wambach's header than the combined audience of every LPGA event.

And let's face it, that recognizability factor plays a huge role. Kelly Slater had a monster year on the surfing tour, but he didn't get nearly as many votes as Tony Stewart.

If I was going on sheer athletic performance, I might have voted for Jennifer Pharr Davis. She broke the speed hiking record on the Appalachian Trail. She was a full 24 hours faster than the man who previously held it.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Does AP simply ask outlets to submit names, or do they compile a list of 6/8/10 choices to pick from?

Draft saved Draft deleted