1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP dumps voter ... and it isn't Whitlock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If you're talking about Whitlock, it would be a shame not to have some fun with that. It's the very least we can do considering he's anointed himself as a media watchdog.

If you're about talking the other guy, I'm not familiar with him outside this thread.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

oh, sure, whitlock admitted it and i understand that. but the glee some people have when someone admits a mistake amazes me

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The glee comes more from the WHO than the WHAT.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, when someone tells you again and again how great he is (without you having asked), it's only natural to revel in it when he fucks up.

5. HoopsMcCann

my point exactly

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The issue, though, Hoops, is because Whit has developed something of a reputation here that many people aren't real hot with. If he'd been everyone's all-American, it's doubtful they'd have been as gleeful.

7. HoopsMcCann

great way for journalists to act

i'm always entertained by people who don't get the joke whitlock makes here... and, well, i'm guessing here, he's laughing his ass off about this one, too. because it's proving his point

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

So, you've never been working on game day, watched a piece of a game earlier in the day where some team was beating another, and later asked somebody, "Did Texas Tech hang on?" and accept what you received as the truth and think little more about it?

Now, the reason I might accept it as the truth is BECAUSE IT IS FOOTBALL AND NOT THAT IMPORTANT in the big scheme of things. Let's say it was "did the mayor really get charged with rape" ... well, that might be one I make sure I go look up for myself before taking it to print. As for a football score, yeah, I'll take someone else's word for it because it's just not that big a deal. Do I try to take more care with facts on a regular basis? Sure, but in a busy business you occasionally have to prioritize. The guy screwed up, no doubt, but it hardly makes him a bad pollster.

AP wants to shitcan this guy for it, fair 'nuff, but I am guessing bigger travesties happen regularly ... like every time somebody votes Boise State into the Top 15.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Unless, of course, it's your job to know, which would be very important in the big scheme of things.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sorry, but if you don't take the job of voting in the AP poll serious enough to check a freakin' score, someone else needs to be voting.

It's OK for me to casually ask about a score, hear something erroneous and be surprised later because, well, it's just a score and who cares. But if I'm an AP voter, there is no excuse for it. I'm supposed to find out before I vote.

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Bullshit. Times-Pic does home delivery in Baton Rouge, there are boxes all over the city and at most gas stations/news stands/hotels/etc. It was that way before Katrina and nothing's changed since then.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Damn, Oz, sorry about that. I musta skipped right over that post on the first page.

Correction: Oz is da man.

Draft saved Draft deleted