1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Dr. Kevorkian Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 3, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Headline only right now on the New York Times' site.

Pretty controversial figure. Assisted suicide will surely be debated in the wake of his death.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought what he did was heroic. My only issue with him was that he seemed to enjoy it a little too much...

RIP

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think it became less about those who wanted to end their pain and more about his defiance...

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Here's the Detroit Free Press link. And, no, it wasn't a suicide. He had been ill for a while:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110603/NEWS01/110603016/Assisted-suicide-advocate-Jack-Kevorkian-dies?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Do you think that was his fault or the fault of the people that sensationalized what he did?

I have driven the Ohio Turnpike between Pittsburgh and Detroit a number of times and I have thought, on that drive, about Albert Miley or Carol Fox or any of the people from Pennsylvania or Eastern Ohio that drove that route to get to Kevorkian in Michigan to get help with their suicides. It must have been an amazing, sad, hopeful, frustrated feeling driving down that road to their deaths. I wonder what was going through their minds. It is such an ugly stretch of highway, too, with nothing but farmland for miles and miles.

I was not a fan of Kevorkian's, but understand what he was doing. If you have suffered through the death of a loved one...especially to a horrible disease like cancer...know how bad it gets. You just want the person's suffering to end and, yes, Kevorkian helped with that. I'm sure there are people on these boards who have been through it and you really can't appreciate how hard it is until you are in that hospital room watching the person lose their mind with pain. So I can see why Kevorkian did what he did.

There are people that think Kevorkian is a monster. That, simply, is asinine. He was no saint, but he helped stop the pain for a lot of people. The only complaint I had about him was his judgment because he helped some people that really weren't as bad off as some others...people that could be helped and weren't at that "last resort" situation yet. But that's just an opinion and I can't really know what they were feeling because I wasn't in their shoes.

Oh, and fuck cancer.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the good outweighed the bad with Kevorkian. He brought peace to a lot of people, but as I said earlier, there was kind of a creepiness to him that indicated he might enjoy this a little more than he should.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Someone called?

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

It got kind of hard to tell what he was fighting for at the end: trying to bring peace to those in pain or the principle that he should be able to do so.

Maybe it's a fine line, but at a certain point, it seemed like he was more concerned with the right to assist suicide than the people he was helping.

9. Abe Vigoda

Abe Vigoda Member

Had to get a restraining order to keep the guy out of my driveway.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The HBO film about Kevorkian starring Al Pacino that came out last year was outstanding.

RIP.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Stolen from a friend's Facebook status:

"Dr. Jack Kevorkian died doing what he loved — dying."

12. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Stolen from somewhere else: He died of natural causes, which was his chief competitor.

Draft saved Draft deleted