1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Don't call them illegal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stylebook drops term "Illegal immigrant."

What's the PC term? Comedian Jay Leno joked that the phrase should be replaced with "undocumented Democrat."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/03/ap-stylebook-drops-illegal-immigrants-from-its-manual/

2. It's not a crime to be in the country without a visa. Sneaking into the country is a misdemeanor.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That can be fixed.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is stupid. PC crap run amok.

Of course, not all immigrants are illegal. Some are, others are not. But if someone happens to be illegal, than that is what they are.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Misdemeanor=illegal, no?

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

“The Stylebook no longer sanctions the term ‘illegal immigrant’ or the use of ‘illegal’ to describe a person,” Carroll said. “Instead, it tells users that ‘illegal’ should describe only an action, such as living in or immigrating to a country illegally.”

If those two sentences don't contradict one another, I don't know what does.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

A misdemeanor is still illegal.
    It seems to me that "illegal immigrant" or "illegal alien" correctly and succinctly identify someone who enters the country outside the legal method. I see no reason to stop using either, and I don't plan to stop, either in speech or the written word.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Heard someone - a talking head for the change - in a radio interview saying that you wouldn't call a drunk driver an illegal driver so that's why you shouldn't call an illegal immigrant illegal.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So it can be an adverb but not an adjective?

10. Half of undocumented immigrants entered the country illegally. How do you differentiate? Seems as if accuracy should be the key.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't care for "undocumented" either. "Oh, he just forgot to file for papers but everything would be kosher otherwise."

How about unauthorized immigrants?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They are more illegal than Jay Leno is a comedian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.