1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Daytona runup=Groundhog Day?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Feb 16, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He's still dead, you know...

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There can be a place for an anniversary story that has something for everybody.

To a 15-year-old kid, reading about the xxth anniversary of Rosie Ruiz at the Boston Marathon may give him a story he otherwise didn't know about.

To a 45-year-old, it can mention some details long forgotten and/or missed the first time as well as providing a "Where are they now?" update.

Anniversary stories can be lame. But they don't have to be.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'm curious why the anniversary of Easter merits a mention. Especially since it's on a different day every year.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Heard it explained once and it sort of made sense, so here goes.
    Besides the fact it has the biggest purse of any of the races, more preparation goes into Daytona than any other race. From November to February, that's what teams are gearing for. There's also a spectacle about it, with the different format (qualifying races) and the history of the race.
    No one doubts that the Indy 500 is the "Super Bowl" of open wheel racing, and it's in the middle of the year. So why is it such a joke that NASCAR's biggest race is first on the schedule?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I didn't think the Earnhardt anniversary death piece (we ran a great one from New York Times) was too much. It was a major event. The piece we ran talked more about Earnhardt's life and what he did to bring NASCAR into the sports mainstream and how the sport hasn't had a personality like him since. Very good read, even though we are nowhere close to being in motorsports country.

As for Sept. 11.... crank up the hype. I bet CNN and MSNBC do a 24-hour commemorative special. Fox News will do a week-long special highlighting "the history of violence in the Arabic World" and hail to the troops. I just hope someone does a report on how horrible it is to fly on a commercial airline these days.

It's an event worth remembering, but I suspect the overkill will be unlike anything since D-Day or Pearl Harbor.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, it's more akin to the Masters or Wimbledon, a single event with a lot of history and prestige. The real "Super Bowl" is the Chase for the Championship that comes at the end of the season.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The Indy 500 is in the middle of the year, but it's really early in their race season.

They can't move Daytona to later in the year. That's where my parents went on their honeymoon, so I know pretty close to when their anniversary is and when it's time to get them a card!

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The Daytona 500 simply evolved into being the series' blockbuster event. It grew out of earlier stock car races that were run, partially, on a stretch of the beach. In the late 50s Daytona International Speedway was built and from there the Daytona 500 as we know it emerged. Back then NASCAR series participation was much more fluid, with lots more races, but the Daytona 500 quickly became a must for most of the legitimate top-tier drivers.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It became that because Bill France owned NASCAR and he owned the track. Therefore, NASCAR declared the 500 to be the biggest race to further fill the France family pockets. Not much has changed.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have a strange personal experience about Dale Earnhardt's death because I was never a NASCAR fan, and rarely watched races. But for some reason, I watched that entire Daytona 500. I obviously knew who Dale Earnhardt was and knew he was essentially the Michael Jordan of stock car racing. So when I saw him crash I just remember thinking "man, that was weird". Not that the crash was weird itself, it was fairly normal, and not a big wreck at all. I just remember having a weird feeling as his teammate crossed the finish line.

Then like an hour later someone called and said he had died. It was very strange. My family went on vacation to FLorida the next day. We had a layover in the Atlanta airport. There were a lot of race fans there basically mourning in the airport. Same thing at NASCAR cafe down in Orlando which was near our hotel.

Sorry for the threadjack. I just remember Earnhardt's death being very real. Maybe because you rarely see such a large sports figure die in his prime (yeah I know racing is different), let alone during competition.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

But really, that's more like the NBA regular season in the aspect that only the die-hards care about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted