1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Dawit Kelete rams into & kills Summer Taylor in Seattle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jul 5, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At least she wasn't thrown off that balcony she's standing on.

What I can't find out for sure is whether it was blocked off and barricaded by CITY/COUNTY OFFICIALS or just by protesters.

Protester hit by car on I-5 in Seattle dies, another remains in serious condition

I will honor detours and barricades installed by government employees. I'll drive through anything I can that a protester puts in my way.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, still goes in the Picked the Wrong Hill to Die On file.

You can't control the setting up there, and you can't run away fast enough when it goes to shit.

3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Gym Jordan had him testifying in front of congress the other day.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This was from the AP story. Sounds like the state police had blocked off the area.

Protester killed on Seattle freeway was dedicated to cause

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why?

6. BTExpress

Their right to protest stops at my right to get where I'm going --- unless the protest is sanctioned by city officials.

7. bigpern23

So, your “right” to get somewhere is more important than their rights to life and free speech. Gotcha.

It should be noted, their right to protest is codified in the Constitution. The “right to get where I’m going” doesn’t enjoy the same legal status.

Spartan Squad and FileNotFound like this.
  8. BTExpress

No you don't gotcha. My rights are not more important. They are as important.

You can protest all you want. Stand outside a building chanting and holding signs and marching. But you prevent me or another citizen from entering that building, and you have overstepped your rights.

That's why protests have to be sanctioned. So proper precautions can be made by city officials to close off streets and reroute traffic and deploy personnel so EVERYONE is safe and taken care of.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I agree with this, even though I agree with what I think your overall gist is.

We have laws that essentially allow people to live freely. ... until the things they do start impinging on others. You are free to live your life without anyone regulating it. ... until the way you live your life starts harming others. That is what we have laws for.

If you are blocking a highway and making a mess of traffic that creates a nuisance for others, there is a good reason why there are laws against that -- you are infringing on others when you behave that way. Everyone who decides they have a grievance doesn't have some right to inconvenience or harm or hurt others.

That said:
    1) The idea of peaceful protest, at least as people like Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. saw it, is to break the law as an act of civil disobedience. They wanted to inconvenience others so their protests could no longer be ignored. And they were willing to accept the consequence of arrest for their acts of civil disobedience.
    2) The notion that the "right to protest stops at my right to get where I'm going --- unless the protest is sanctioned by city officials," is an absurd sentiment. People who are protesting their government are not going to ask for the government they are protesting to sanction their protest. But Xi Jingping wholeheartedly agrees with that idea and has recently introduced it to Taiwan.

FileNotFound and bigpern23 like this.
  10. BTExpress

Yes, they will. Happens all the time. You MUST do this so that streets can be closed in advance and traffic can be rerouted and extra police and security can be on hand.

"petition" = "ask"
    Petition: A formal written request, typically one signed by many people, appealing to authority with respect to a particular cause.

Here are the rules for my city:

https://charlottenc.gov/CMPD/Documents/ordinances/Protest-DemoContacts.pdf

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  11. bigpern23

So as long as you're able to easily ignore the protest, all good, right? Protests definitely should not inconvenience anybody.

[​IMG]

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

That's what Karen Said

Draft saved Draft deleted