1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP changing roundups

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SCEditor, Feb 7, 2009.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I realize this doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but is this just plain laziness on AP's part? Heck, I don't use any of the roundups except for NFL, but this just seems silly.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No likey.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There are too many newspapers still using systems that only allow for a certain number of characters to appear in a slug for this to work, particularly when the best game of the night features, say, the Trailblazers or the Timberwolves. (OK, it's unlikely, but still.)

And at what point do they determine the best game of the night? Before the games? After?

4. micke77

micke77 Member

deskslave...amen. yep, this oughta be interesting. who gets to pick The Game of the Day/Night? this will be fun to watch develop.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'm sure they consulted with their paying members before making this change.

Wait. Hold on. Nevermind.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

trail blazers.

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

This is a very bad idea ... what, we're all supposed to guess at the best game? What if they've chosen a "best game" then a better game is played out west?

Like others here, this also is a problem for us because of the limited number of characters our directory shows.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My guess -- and I'll test it next week, obviously -- is to do a slug search in our system for "Rdp." Hopefully, that works.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

As Buck alluded to, depending on where you are, you're usually tweaking to the roundups anyway. It's not like you can no longer make your own editorial decisions because the AP is changing its roundup style. I could see the length of the slug being an issue, but overall it doesn't seem like a big deal.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Is your deadline really that flexible? When I was working in the Eastern Time Zone, pretty much any game starting 9:30 p.m. or later was a lost cause.

Honestly, with as many roundups as I had to rework to get the best game up to the top (and to remove that extra graf summarizing the other scores) I'm slightly pissed that AP only now gets around to doing it the right way.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Relax, people, this all part of the change Obama was talking about. Embrace it.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Back when I was working the desk, this would have been a change I could have believed in.

Sensibly-organized roundups? Yes we can!

Draft saved Draft deleted