1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP byline policy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nietsroob17, Nov 1, 2012.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Forgive me if the topic's been broached elsewhere, but did the AP change their policy on bylines for stringers? Last week or so, I've seen bylines on various stories that may've been filled by stringers covering for a city's pirmary writer(s).

For instance, Clay Bailey did a Memphis basketball preview, and Doug Walp a West Virginia/Geno Smith story.

Is the AP now giving bylines for stringers for stories that go beyond briefs?

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Just began Oct. 15, and is voluntary for freelancers ... also only to be used on items beyond briefs (APNewsNow), such as 1st Ld Writethrus, optionals and Hometown Ledes ... from what I remember of the memo that was sent out announcing the move, it was done in response to all the crap that came down when the "copy mills" were discovered using fake bylines on stories they were generating ...

Draft saved Draft deleted