1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: bailout $100 billion for actual mortgages

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"crickets"

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I am still renting an apartment for one simple reason. I turned down a loan that I knew I could not afford. I was told they would get me in a house no problem. I looked at the paperwork and said no way in hell. I had to convince the other person who was going in with me that it was a bad move. That was just three years ago. It was the best decision I ever made.

My credit was just starting to bounce back. I screwed up in college and just after college with credit cards.

I had to pay more for my car than it is worth because of my bad credit, but I didn't bitch. I still pay it and in another year I'll be out from under that. I have paid off all my credit cards and now have just two - low balance cards - instead of the five big ones I had.

I woke up in a tough way.

Turning down the chance to live in a house was the best decision I ever made. Especially with what has happened. I would have been one of the people crying for help right now. And while I feel bad for them all, I am not about to be told that I have to foot the bill for their mistakes or poor judgement after I just finished bailing myself out by busting my ass, penny-pinching and having much less than those around me.

Call me a heartless bastard if you want, but it's just how I feel.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm paying a fixed 5.7 on a 30. it's still more than i'd like.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

But you are being told that, or you will be told. Unless the Senate finds its collective stones the way the House did the other night.

And I do relate to your story.....high school students should have to successfully complete a course on how credit works before they are allowed to graduate. As far as I was concerned, when I got to college, that little piece of plastic was free money.....duh. :-\

Draft saved Draft deleted