1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP apologizes 60 years later

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 5, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Better late than never but I wonder why he was the only one fired? I would think that other heads should've rolled.

2. Izzy Gould

Izzy Gould Member

Very fascinating story. I see both sides of the argument.

If the news was breaking on the radio, that would certainly make me want to report it immediately. But I would be sure my editor signed off on it first.

Wonder how TMZ would have handled it?

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Very good story. My shop is running it in Sunday's paper and I got to read and lay it out early last night.

Drip, Kennedy was the only one to defy the order to hold the story, therefore he was the only one to get in trouble. He essentially scooped everybody else by doing so, and the other media members were pretty pissed about it.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I gathered that. I thought that Kennedy had an editor to answer to. I agree, it's a great story.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It says in the story that Kennedy called the AP desk with the news (from a military phone, which wasn't subject to the military censors), but did not tell them about the news embargo, so AP went ahead and ran it, figuring it wasn't a problem. I think that's the main reason he was fired, he wasn't truthful with the AP editors, and the head guy at the AP bureau threw him under the bus.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I thought they would be apologizing for the lateness of the corrected Brooklyn-Cincinnati box score.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He should have been fired if he didn't tell his bosses what he had agreed to.

Draft saved Draft deleted