1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP All-SEC team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I see that AP has moved an All-SEC men's basketball team it named today.

Why?

The SEC picks its own team. Why do we need another? If you are AP, why select an all-conference team for one conference if you aren't going to do every conference?

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Birmingham News does one, AJC does one, Tennessean does one...
    It shows they pay attention...

3. To be eligible for the AP's All-America team, players must first appear on the AP's all-conference team. AP can't use an all-conference team that isn't picked exclusively by media, and in some conferences, SIDs, etc. have a vote.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Cue the Dana Carvey Carson voice: "I did not know that"

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Weird and wild stuff.

Anyone else a little surprised that Lofton was PoY?

I would have voted for Tre' Kelley or Derrick Byars over Lofton, who is an excellent shooter but doesn't bring a whole lot else to the table, at least from what I've seen.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

With Lofton, Tennessee is a very good team; without him, they are a longshot for the NIT.

Then again, maybe that makes him more an MVP than a POY, if you get my drift

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Like bowl games, these types of awards are rewards for players.
    They also give programs recognition, and allow journalists and newspapers to "make nice" with coaches and programs they might have offended in some way during the season.
    Such "all-this or all-that" teams make for great fodder in the following year's media guides.
    Finally, sports 'agents' can use this sort of thing to cut a better bargain for their 'clients'.

Draft saved Draft deleted