1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP All-America hoops team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 31, 2008.

1. I started following college basketball in 1962.
    CDR is not the best player on his team, and not a first-team All America. He's the living definition of a Good College Player.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Not trying to start a pissing match, but this kind of logic has always eluded me. Since we are talking about college basketball and this is a college basketball honor, should not how much better he is as a college player be exactly what this is about? Or am I misunderstanding you?

3. He is a Good College Player.
    There are between 50 and 100 of them every year.
    Derrick Rose is a great basketball player.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, F_B, in order, who are your top five playing college ball today?

Not being a wise ass, just curious.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Derrick Rose is a great talent and will have better NBA career but he was not the better player this year.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

What he said.

As I said to a good buddy of mine who was a great baseball player in HS but a lousy city league softball player, "if only you made this game look as easy as you make it sound." So, yeah, Rose is a better "player" than Douglas-Roberts, only he wasn't this year and since it's this year and at this level we're talking about there is no question who the All-American is.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wait ... isn't college sports supposed to be about finding out "Who's Next?"

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

CDR is not the most talented player on his team. But then, Hansbrough is not the most talented player on his. Douglas-Roberts led Memphis in scoring by 3 points per game. When Rose was still learning about playing college ball, scoring six pionts and shooting 2-of-13 on the road at UAB, CDR was saving their behinds with 32 points and the game-saving 3-point play.
    CDR shot 54.5 percent from the field, didn't force three bad shots all year, played his best in big games (Georgetown 24, UConn 33 and 25 each against Mich State and Texas). Not a good college player. A great college player.
    If I'm an NBA team, I'd take Rose over every single player in college. Every one. But CDR belongs on any first-team All-America.

Draft saved Draft deleted