1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOL sports hires Jay Mariotti, Lisa Olson, Kevin Blackistone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by danews, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Great. Someone else is going to overpay Mariotti. I'm sure they've got a slot for Rob Parker as well.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Who heads up AOL Sports? Does that person have a chance of holding Mariotti accountable on things like locker-room presence, sourcing, etc.? At least he won't have to be a "team player" working independently for AOL -- no local beat writers in close proximity to treat like serfs, no fellow columnist to threaten fisticuffs upon.

Funny, I thought AOL Sports had gone completely over to the "citizen (fan boi) journalism" thing.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I'm very happy for Lisa and Kevin and Jay can eat a bag of dicks. I guess he'll be called upon to fill the loudmouthed asshole void that's been there since Whitlock left for Foxsports.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Lisa will do great. I am very happy for her.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, it was that and celebrity sports coverage, too. But the home page today is more traditional sports news, so who knows? I guess it depends on what time it is.

With all respect to the original poster, I still haven't seen this anywhere or heard it anywhere else, yet. Doesn't mean it's not true. But this would indeed be another about face for AOL sports.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Dickens Cider is Kathy Griffin!

7. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Wasn't Neal Scarbrough the sports editor for AOL for a few minutes?

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That was indeed the case...

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

In the current climate, I'll celebrate any and every hire. If it's a friend or someone I respect (or both), then I'll celebrate even more.

Congratulations, Lisa. I'm happy for you.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yikes!

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

"Jay, dammit, get to that locker room now. AOL Sports needs to have a presence there!"

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Good to see Lisa Olson back in the fray. Happy New Year!

Draft saved Draft deleted