1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOL Sports (Fanhouse) continues to hire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Mar 4, 2009.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

A bit of good news during these terrible times.
    (Yes, I am linking from TBL. Please don't hate me.)

http://thebiglead.com/?p=12026#comments
    Media Rumors: We hear that Fanhouse (aka, AOL Sports) is going the route of Yahoo Sports and CBS Sports and attempting to hire “beat writers” for the NBA, NFL, and MLB. AOL Sports added three newspapers columnists in January (anyone reading them religiously?) to their large blogger contingent, and we hear that in the coming months, AOL will be plucking newspapers writers to help bolster their reporting efforts. This shouldn’t be too difficult, either - after the abrupt closing of the Rocky Mountain News last week, sports writers in 2-paper cities are beginning to panic about job security through 2009. We hear AOL is already in talks with a prominent columnist to be an NFL writer. Much of Yahoo’s surge in success over the last year has been due to its strong investigative reporting, as well as NBA and NFL scoops.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, god love 'em and anybody giving people a job, but I just wonder how they are pulling all this off ...

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

To update:
    Ed Price is the new MLB writer.
    Dan Graziano is the new NFL writer.
    Both are great writers and reporters, with decades of experience in the newspaper business.

4. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Glad Ed landed on his feet, he's good people.

5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Glad to see both are back on their feet and another reminder of just how much The Star Ledger has slipped the past year and a half.

6. somewriter

somewriter Member

I hope they got long-term contracts with guaranteed money.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/10/AR2009031003307.html

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You can not effectively advertise on Web sites.

Haven't seen it yet.

The huge, fatal flaw in this idea of dumping paper for pixels.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I worked with both these guys, great guys, and I hope this works out for both.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Seconded.

Draft saved Draft deleted