1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOL shutting down hometown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Oct 8, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While trying to go to my ftp site, I found a message from AOL telling me it will no longer maintain hometown.aol.com at the end of this month...

Sucks for me, cause that's where I've had my online portfolio and other stuff for years...

Formally announced on 9/30/2008:

Dear AOL Hometown user,
    We're sorry to inform you that on Oct. 31, 2008, AOL® Hometown will be shut down permanently. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
    Though you will be able to modify your Hometown site until this date, we urge you to save your AOL Hometown content immediately, and consider other options for hosting your site. Read more about how to download and save your Hometown files here.

In the meantime, please bookmark the People Connection Blog, where you can find out more about AOL Hometown. You can also subscribe to the People Connection Blog RSS feed to stay informed about any changes. We'll be updating the People Connection Blog often, so please check it regularly.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we make this transition. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
    he AOL Hometown Team

ADD: Effective October 31st 2008, all the files in AOL® Hometown/FTP space will be deleted and will no longer be available for download for all AOL members. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I would have guessed AOL Hometown kicked off a long time ago.

3. AOL is still around?

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Amazing, ain't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted