1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOL FanHouse continuing to load up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scoop returns, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Saw that, too. The Quancast numbers seem to be different.

Anyone out there work with Quancast data? I thought there were a couple. Little help?

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Sorry for not making my point more clearly. In the old days, the columnists at 18 different papers might all have had a take on Jeter, but no one would have had the ability to read any or all of the 18. You read the take in your local paper, and that was that.

Now that the Internet has provided access to 18 takes (and many more), how many of those takes will people really read? And, if clicks are going to mean job security, how many of these sites will last?

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

fanhouse is no better or worse than the others.

they all do the same thing, more or less.

no real reason to pick one over another.

can't imagine why a reader or fan would switch if they are accustomed to one site.

what's the point - it's the same stuff.

4. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Here is a thought guys: FanHouse has been kind enough to hire people who are either your friends or folks you respect who've been displaced in this business so why not make the extra effort to check out the site regularly? I don't see anything wrong with bookmarking the site and drop by daily. I did so myself last week and must admit that I've enjoyed what they are doing. I enjoyed the fact their writers seem more analytical, which is what I look for more than features and gamers. I would say their blend of writers, reporters and voices is as good as some of the more popular sites out there. But that is just one man's opinion.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope you're on their payroll. :D

6. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

I wish. If you have any connects please let me know.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As long as they keep doing things like this, I'll keep watching...(at least, I assume it has something to do with Fanhouse, judging by the bug...)

http://claytravis.net/mailbag/2009/09/ut-ucla-sorority-roundtable.html

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Speaking as someone who is on the FanHouse payroll, I would suggest that you give us some time before judging. We're just now starting our first real sports calendar year with all of these new writers. A lot of cool stuff is to come.

9. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

What is Fanhouse's strategy with the amateur blogger-types? More or less of them?

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Well, I don't want to speak for the corporate strategy, since that's above my pay grade, but I can tell you that we've kept a pretty constant amount of them in the 6 months I've been here. I believe there were more a year ago, before the effort to hire newspaper types.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It takes effort to hire newspaper types?

I'm thinking your shop is beating them away with a stick.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

lol, maybe effort wasn't the right word.

Draft saved Draft deleted