1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOL FanHouse continuing to load up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scoop returns, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

I think you guys should all bookmark FanHouse. The site has some real quality writers and they are doing some interesting and original stuff. My guess is in the next year or so your views will change on FanHouse.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think anyone has anything against Fanhouse, it's just not where we're used to going for sports news. I've been going to ESPN.com for about 15 years now, when it was SportsZone and I'm trying to break that habit.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Exactly.

A little promotion to let people know it exists might help.

4. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Scoop, how much did FanHouse pay you to advertise?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Same for me on Lisa.

7. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

LOL, I was going to ask the same thing about the free pub.

ESPN, CBS Sports and Yahoo are my go-to sports sites. Would never think of AOL in that arena and now that I'm reminded Mariotti is there would not even venture over.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

No, just freelancing hockey on the side.

Are all these sites really going to prosper, or will we be down to one or two in the next couple years? Are there enough diehards to click on all these sites, even assuming that clicks will generate revenue? Or will one or two sites suffice just fine for the masses? How many takes do we need on Melanie Oudin or Derek Jeter?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The same could be said for print columnists writing about the same thing, could it not?

Why would a stable of columnists on two or three websites be any different than the same writers at 18 different newspapers writing about them? Now the differing opinions are just available in one location.

10. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Maybe an imposter Susan Slusser wrote this story on Sept. 8 then :)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/08/SP9919JOMO.DTL

11. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Bullwinkle and BMud, you guys are just so suspicious. I thought this was a journalism topics board so thought FanHouse would be interesting to talk about. Tired of talking about who got laid off, which recorder works best or how to take stats during a high school football game. That said, I'm taking the fifth on what I'm being paid by AOL FanHouse...lol!

12. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

It gets linked to fairly often in Google searches. I end up on there a couple of times per day. And I agree that they are assembling quite a roster of solid writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted