1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOL FanHouse continuing to load up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scoop returns, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Has anyone noticed the amount of hiring FanHouse has been as of late. It seems AOL is serious about taking on the likes of Yahoo Sports and cbssportsline in the world of national sports coverage.

Just Thursday, the site announced the hiring of former New York Times NFL writer, Denver Post columnist and NFL Network columnist Thomas George as a sports news columnist/investigative reporter/NFL insider.

In the last couple weeks FanHouse has also brought aboard former Baltimore Sun columnist David Steele as a takeout writer/college basketball writer, former Rocky Mountain News Nuggets writer Chris Tomasson to cover the NBA, former San Francisco Chronicle writer Michelle Smith to cover women's sports and former LA Times writer Lonnie White to cover the Pac-10 and recruiting. And those aren't the only hires that have been made in the last two weeks.

Any thoughts on the impact in our industry FanHouse is about to make?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The top 1 percent will never have a problem finding jobs.

The remaining 99 percent remain fucked.

Glad to see Steele and Tomasson found jobs.

3. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

I'm not real sure about that Mizzou. There are still some really good folks out there without jobs. But all of FanHouse's hires have been real quality, no argument there. Steele, George, Tomasson and White were all big-time hires to go along with a nice lineup already that includes Jay Marriotti, Kevin Blackistone, Terrence Moore, Greg Couch, David Whitley, Ed Price, Jeff Fletcher, etc. etc. etc.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

etc Lisa Olson etc...

No doubt AOL has loaded up on talent, I just wonder how many people use AOL for their sports coverage. Interested to know if anyone here looks at those columns regularly.

5. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Saw something yesterday from NYSE report that FanHouse is getting like 10 to 11 million uniques in any given month. Not sure if that is good or not? You tell me.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Heard about Chris Tomasson about a month ago. Good for him -- and everyone else catching on there. Hopefully, more will follow.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I never go to AOL for sports unless someone links to it. When I get there, I say something like, "Oh, I forgot David Whitley is here now..." and then I read some of their stuff. They have a great group, there's no question they're trying to build something.

I just kind of cringe when people say, "Oh, AOL is hiring, that's got to be a good thing..."

It is to an extent. Five years ago it would have created a domino effect where Whitley leaves Orlando, Orlando hires Writer X to replace them, Writer X get replaced by Writer Y and by the time all is said and done, several good people have moved up in the journalism world.

That's not happening anymore. It's more like, "AOL hired Whitley, which now means Orlando has one fewer columnist. Period. End of story.

8. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

An excellent point, Mizzou. Papers take any reason they can to eliminate a position. It's just sad.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Frankly, Lisa Olson is the only one of them that can get me to make a rare appearance at AOL, which is a huge afterthought for me.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

They also hired a hockey writer. Lisa Olson is a must read for me.

11. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

Thought I saw Susan Slusser's name on an NHL thing somewhere the other day -- she leave the Chronicle?

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Never have visited AOL's site for any reason related to sports because I've never heard much about it, but I will now to see what's there.

Draft saved Draft deleted