1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyway, the Clippers new logo ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Jun 18, 2015.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

... was unveiled yesterday ...

Steve Ballmer, Los Angeles Clippers owner, unveils new team logo on late night show

... and met with almost universal derision:

Lukas: Dissecting the Los Angeles Clippers' new uniforms

The Clippers' new logo and uniforms are here, and yes, these are real | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports

Those are just two examples. My favorite was the guy from CBS Sports saying the "LAC" monogram looked like 'a snake trying to eat itself.'

I tend to agree with all the negative reaction. With a name like "Clippers" you have all kinds of nautical imagery you can use, and they went with another boring corporate logo, and one that doesn't look at all attractive.

What say the rest of you on this board?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Holy Mother of God…

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Usually you have to give the league a couple-year lead time when you switch logos. This totally was a rush job, for obvious reasons. Do wish they would've taken their time to do it right instead of doing it quickly.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just think: They paid money for that.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Too similar to EA Sports' design for NBA Live back in the day.

[​IMG]

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't mind the logo itself. I think it'd look terrific for a corporate logo, on letterhead, even on a hat.
    On a shirt or jersey, though, it looks like ass. It's too compact, so when you pair it with the number or by itself you end up with one of those generic-looking uniforms they use on TV shows that can't afford to pay licensing fees. They could be the "L.A. Cobras" in an episode of Saved By The Bell.

The white home jerseys aren't the worst things I've ever seen.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Notice they were careful to leave the words "LOS ANGELES" completely off all the team branding, in order to grease the wheels in a season or two when the Lakers run their asses out of town and they scoot off to Anaheim, Seattle, Vegas or Kansas City.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wouldn't they have to change the logo?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why would they leave LA?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sure. That would take around 30 seconds on any remedial graphics design program.

If the team doesn't stay good, and there are plenty of reasons to believe they may not, and if the Lakers happen to get good again, the Clippers will quickly return to being the JV team. When that happens the franchise is up for grabs for any city/arena to make an offer.

And Ballmer still lives in the PNW.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well, you've been quite accurate when it comes to these matters, I'll take your word for it.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Who are the Cuppers? Terrible font selection. Would have done something with the Ps in the middle to make them look like sails.

Draft saved Draft deleted