1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anything more unappealing than this year's HR contest?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I did. It was a joke ;)

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They've got a target: The black seats in center.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You shouldn't have dropped out of clown college, 'Beetus.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I would say there are four big targets -- how deep in the uppr deck in left and right, how high off the wall behind the right field bleachers and how far behind the bullpens in left.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

How about aiming for the ambulances in left center? In 30 years I only saw Larry Hisle hit it there. And I only saw Joe Charbonneau hit it off the upper deck facing in left. So there's that.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There are at least three guys in this year's contest who couldn't reach any of those areas if they hit a ball, picked it up where it landed and hit it again.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Must only be me. I'm rather excited for the contest this year.

8. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Nastiest look I've ever gotten in two decades of doing this for a living - Mike Ilitch when I asked Bud Selig if he'd like to see the 2005 Home Run Derby held at Tiger Stadium. Bud stammered for a bit about the wonderful history of Tiger Stadium and what a wonderful spectacle it would be, but how the HRD was going to be wonderful at Comerica Park.

There was no way it would happen - Tiger Stadium was already falling to pieces by that point - but it would have been a great place to have the event. Someone putting a ball over the leftfield roof would have been huge, and you also had the centerfield upper-deck bleachers, the lumber yard behind the rightfield stands and the Reggie Light Tower.

At Comerica, the "targets" were impossible - you'd need rocket fuel to reach the leftfield scoreboard or the fountain in center.

Draft saved Draft deleted