1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone with any advice...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Accepted a new job in January at a university. I was surprised to find insurance kicked in instantly ... I told 'em, let's wait until Feb. when insurance at the last place runs out. No reason to pay double insurance.

2. This is all sound advice, and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but Palmetto does need to look at how the move will benefit him professionally and his family in the long run. I don't think paying for insurance for 30 days is a deal-breaker -- as long as it's not a sign of larger problems at the future employer (which Write Then Drink alluded to).

Palmetto has to weigh whether a short-term hardship is worth it against the advantages he gets from the job, and how comfortable (or not) he and his wife will be with the pregnancy, the delivery, and, most important, the early years of the child. That said, I'd still ask for them to foot the bill, but if they don't, I don't necessarily think he should walk away.

P.S. I don't think they'll pay for a house-hunting trip. I'd push the insurance issue first.

3. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

all the jobs i've had have paid insurance from day 1. I thought that's just how it worked.

What's a once-a-week gig, anyways?

Draft saved Draft deleted