1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone with any advice...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Well, I went to the interview four states away and there is an offer on the table. However, I was wondering what you guys would do in this situation: the publisher told me I had to take out a Cobra for at least 30 days. Having a pregnant wife and us potentially moving, I cannot afford this nor can I take a lapse in coverage. Do I ask for insurance from day one or say thanks but no thanks?
    Also, it is reasonable to ask for them to pay for a house-hunting trip so we can look for a house and doctors in the area?
    Any advice would be helpful and thanks

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

It really depends on how big the paper is. Some will splurge for you to conduct a house-hunting trip, while others expect you to do it on your own dime. But with a pregnant wife, if she doesn't have her own insurance, there's no well in hell i'd take that gig unless I got coverage from day one.

3. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

if he's talking to the publisher i'm guessing it's a small paper and they aren't likely to have a lot of money. I may be wrong, tho. I'd ask for insurance right away and explain that your wife is pregnant. Every company should give insurance from Day 1. The ones that don't should be ashamed of themselves.

Good luck.

4. it's a once a week gig

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

is a once a week gig what you're looking for four states away?

6. man, you gotta put health & family issues first

I'd strongly consider telling them you'd love to take the job but you can't accept without insurance from Day 1

they can afford it

if they won't give it to you, it might not be somewhere you want to work

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

no doubt about it. no coverage from day 1 is a deal-breaker. either that or tell them they have to pay the cobra costs.

8. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Most places don't provide insurance from day one.

Often, your previous company is paid up through the end of the month, no matter when you leave.

Find out what the Cobra costs are. Compare it with what you are paying in insurance. See if you can offord to swing the differences. Keep in mind there are a lot of other additional costs in taking a new job. Companies may pay for many, but there are others, including deposits on utilities, buying new items for your new residence, stocking up on perishable food.

Many companies can't budge on the insurance.

9. I told you before you weren't likely to get insurance for at least a month ... here's what you do now - if you're otherwise not going to take it ASK FOR THE MOON - insurance, househunting. If they say no then stay put.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding. In some cases, they'll say they can't get you insurance from Day 1.

It's not easy to determine who's telling the truth and who is lying. The way to find out if they really want you is to ask them for the money upfront for that month's COBRA costs. It's certainly not greed - given your situation, I think it's the least the new company can do. That kind of money should be a drop in the ocean for them ... goodness knows, the publisher might not be able to pay off all the $2 nassaus he/she lost on the golf course then, but oh well ...

Bad jokes aside, if the publisher can't foot the COBRA bill for a month or two until his/her company can offer medical benefits, then stay put.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

True.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Congrats on the offer, by the way.
    I don't remember if you said why you're looking to move, but might you use it to squeeze more out of your current place?

Draft saved Draft deleted