1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone who is good at connecting electronics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Quit post padding.

I know you're not at home, I was asking that for later.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

There are several different types of inputs.

Assuming you don't have an HDTV, the most likely things you have are coaxial (the black cable with gold, screw-tight connections on each end - this is the type of cable you use to bring the signal from the wall) and composite cables (a group of three cables with red, white and yellow tips).

Do you want to be able to record things on your DVD player or just play things? That will determine how you should hook up the DVD player.

I should be up around 3 a.m. if you want to PM me. I'm pretty good at this type of stuff.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're awesome.

I have a coaxial cable out of my TV. I only need to play things on my DVD player, it's not a recorder. I'll take pictures when I get home (if I can find my flashlight).

You're the best.

4. Smash Williams

Nah, I'm just good with electronics. At least, hooking them up. Making them behave is sometimes another matter.

The red/yellow/white jacks on your TV are almost definitely inputs. Most televisions don't have outputs because they're designed as the final destination for the signals. That should make this pretty easy to do once you get going.

5. imjustagirl

I don't have red/yellow/white on my TV. Taht's on my cable box. My tv has the coaxial.

6. Smash Williams

Ahh.

PM me tonight when you get home with pictures. It'll be easier to work with those.

But don't worry. It's still very doable.

7. imjustagirl

Good news: I was doing everything right.
    Bad news: it still won't work.

Smash just talked me through it, I had everything connected right the first time, but there's something simply not firing. I think I'm just going to have to call Comcast, have them upgrade me to the DVR box, and come install it for me. :)

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why didn't the cable guy install it to begin with?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

10. imjustagirl

Because it's a Tivo and therefore not Comcast property. He can't hook up stuff that he's not authorized to hook up.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Don't worry, I am an expert. ...

[​IMG]

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Did you figure this out yet, IJAG?

Draft saved Draft deleted