1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone watching the Mitchell Report hearings on ESPN?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tried to find this in a running thread but didn't ...

So far, most of the congressmen and women have alternated between congratulating themselves and George Mitchell for their hard work. One exception was Christopher Shays, a Republican from Connecticut.

Shays tried to get tough with Mitchell, and about how much baseball knew about Rafael Palmeiro's steroid use BEFORE he failed the steroid test in 2005. But Shays made several mistakes/misstatements that made him come off like an ill-informed doofus.

He referred to the "Blackhawks" scandal of 1919. He called Palmeiro "Palmerry." And then he asked if baseball knew about Palmeiro's positive test before he got his "350th" hit.

I know Congress has far more important things to worry about, but if you're going to grandstand during hearings on national television, at least do your homework.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Mike McGwire and Sammy Sooser don't see what the big fucking deal is.

3. Steak Snabler

First thing I thought of.

By the way, the cameras just showed Donald Fehr dozing off. Not the first time the players union was caught napping over steroids.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There is no higher comedy than politicians dinkering around with sports talk.

That crew sitting behind Mitchell...oy.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder how many times they screw up facts in non-baseball related issues. You know, the really important national issues.

I guess it is about as often as City Desk people screw stuff up. Lord help you if you are a sports writer not named Bill who messes up history and facts.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How many people would be there if the TV cameras weren't?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The congresswoman from Minnesota--reading off a prepared statement and stumbling over every word--calling this a criminal conspiracy of drug abusers in which the owners conspired to defraud the public, thus ruining the apple pie.

She looks like she needs an enema.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

She should never have even bothered.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Shays is the early leader over Souder and Lynch in grandstanding/issue knowledge ratio.

10. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

The clueless lady from Minnesota I think it said was Betty McCollum. She was a joke. She stumbled over her prepared statement, butchered names and even said the word: "boughten."
    Wonder how Brian Sab-EEN feels about her. Or David Secki (Segui maybe?)

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Listening to this just reinforces how much respect I have for our elected officials in Washington.

BTW, How do we do that blue font thing?

12. Steak Snabler

If you're doing a quick reply, hit "preview," then highlight the text and change color to "blue."

Draft saved Draft deleted