1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone watching the Emmys?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Sep 23, 2012.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The whole tempo of the show was rushed and the sound was TERRIBLE. Even some jokes that might have worked were lost because the audio was so bad.

The whole thing felt amateurish.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You do realize his show, which is on a whopping 30 minutes later than it will be in a few months has built it's audience every year as Leno and Letterman have seen their ratings go down? I'm not saying he will beat either of them, but to say it will be a failure on the level of Chevy Chase or Joan Rivers is just fucking idiotic. His show has been on for nine years.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kimmel will sell more ads for more money. He'll be the youngest of Leno and Letterman and his last half-hour will have that many more eyeballs than it used to.
    And I was as surprised by the move as much as anyone, but when was the last time whatever Nightline was running wouldn't keep for a day?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

To say something of the voting - I really enjoyed season one of Homeland, but season four of Breaking Bad was a great show at the top of its game. It should have won.

5. Mizzougrad96

Also, Letterman will be retired within the next 3-5 years, maybe even less. I think Kimmel will benefit more from that than any of the other shows.

Also, it's silly to say that someone's performance on an awards show is an indicator of how their late-night show will do. Letterman and Jon Stewart didn't fare particularly well doing the Oscars, but their shows are fine.

I didn't think Kimmel was at his best, but it was hardly a train wreck.

6. Mizzougrad96

I agree. I think the AMC people didn't do the show any favors when they made it ineligible last year. I would bet that by the time people voted, Season 4 was almost long forgotten. Hell, by the time the nominations were done, Season 5 was airing. I know they send screeners of the nominated episodes, but if you watched Breaking Bad or Homeland when they were on, would you necessarily watch the screeners?

Homeland is a great, great show, but Season 4 of Breaking Bad was almost perfection.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Season 4 was very, very good, but not better than seasons 2 or 3. I thought Homeland had some wonderful moments -- the first couple of episodes, Carrie's breakdown and Saul driving the prisoner's wife cross country. But the last few episodes were of far less consistant quality and it was an inferior show to BB or Mad Men.

And Cranston not winning is just silly.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, Cranston should have won... I just think that after someone has won more than once, people stop voting for them in the acting categories... I have no other explanation for that one...

That theory would also somewhat explain how Jon Cryer beat Jim Parsons. :D

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I disagree strongly with it not being better than season 2. Season four was much better, IMO. I could see an argument for season three, though I would still go with four. You can't really go wrong with either of those.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Probably was a pity vote for having to deal with both Charlie Sheen and ex-Mr. Demi Moore ... :)

11. Mizzougrad96

Apparently, Cryer is one of the nicest people ever. His acceptance speech was incredibly classy.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree, but all 3 were top notch TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted