1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone watching the Emmys?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Sep 23, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Feel kind of bad for Kimmel. The show isn't exactly electric. Feels like a repeat, with comedic actors trying to be funny without writers (and failing), and the writing that there is, the transitions, intros and segues are either repetitive or in some cases non-existent.
    I figured if it made it through the comedy section without garnering a laugh, there probably won't be too many in the Downton Abbey/American Horror Story/Hatfields and McCoys section.
    BTW - Well Done Aaron Paul. And congrats on the Emmy win as well, though I was kind of pulling for Giancarlo Esposito.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

No. The BF is watching. I would rather watch the Ravens game.

He is going to regret this later.

But to each his own.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm not watching. I have no interest in doing so.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fucking awful. Watched for the first half hour or so. HC managed until around 9:30.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Buncha people I've never heard of winning awards for shows I've never seen.

I'll pass.

6. DanOregon

Watched the In Memoriam segment on the web. Damn. I'm sure there will be some complaints about people left off...but dang, a lot of legends.

7. acharlotteobserver

acharlotteobserver New Member

Why would you feel bad for Kimmel? He put himself in this situation. And obviously, he can't handle the big boy stuff.
    He's gonna get killed at 11:30.
    How can Nightline consistently do well (and even beat Leno and Letterman) and not hold the ratings as soon as Kimmel comes on and they think it'll do better by moving it up? Please...there are many nights Fallon is only .1 behind Kimmel.
    This has the potential to be a Joan Rivers/Chevy Chase type failure.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

There were very few in the Memoriam section that I hadn't heard of. Also liked Ron Howard's tribute to Andy Griffith beforehand.

I don't know...I thought the show and all of the little skits were just...odd. And they didn't really fit. The only two categories where the person I was rooting for one was Supporting Comedy Actor (Eric Stonestreet) and Supporting Comedy Actress (Dame Maggie Smith).

The thing that was confusing me was the difference between the regular nominated shows and the miniseries categories. American Horror Story (12 episodes) was up for miniseries, Downtown Abbey (8 episodes) was up for drama and Luther (4 episodes) was up for miniseries. Last year, DA was in the miniseries category, but I thought that it and AHS should have been switched out. Also, was Sherlock only allowed to nominate one episode (A Scandal in Belgravia) while every other show in the miniseries category got their entire run?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hosts generally get to bring in a few of their own writers for awards show. Blame Kimmel for Kimmel.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Modern Family skit was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in ages...

Jon Cryer has two Emmys? That's pretty frightening. His speech was very classy though...

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

For those who missed it:

12. DanOregon

I feel bad for Kimmel because I like the guy, but he just didn't bring it. Bad enough that the winners were repeats for the most part, but opening the thing with a botox joke was something I don't think even Leno would do.

Draft saved Draft deleted