1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone watching Hell's Kitchen?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JoelHammond, Jun 11, 2008.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The thing about "Kitchen Nightmares" is that he also spends a ton of money cleaning the place up. It's amazing how much better a restaurant can do with a brand-new kitchen and a major makeover out front. It's not like he just tweaks the menu and -- voila -- there's a magical turnaround.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

About this season's Hell's Kitchen.....I can't see either of the two finalists being able to become an exec chef at one of Ramsay's joints. They barely look competent enough to run a Waffle House.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I'm just so happy they finally got rid of that Jen....god she was irritating.

It took me a while to get used to the "yes Chef", "no Chef" crap. I couldn't believe they actually talked like that in the kitchen. I do like Top Chef much better, although the gratuitious product placement really irritated me this season.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And the contestants just aren't that good this season. During last season, I could have definitely seen Rock as an executive chef at a big time restaurant. This season? Not so much. Half the time, they can't even cook salmon without burning it.

That said, I gotta go with Petrozza.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

OK, so Corey's out. I cannot fathom Petrozza winning. He just doesn't project the kind of image you want in a successful restaurant.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

So, Hell's Kitchen comes to an end with Christina a lukewarm winner.

But now it's been replaced by - WAIT FOR IT - yet another Hell's Kitchen starting next week (here in Canuckistan anyway) without Gordon Ramsey but with this guy:

http://www.citytv.com/micro/hellskitchen/chefs.asp

Yes, the tyrannical Marco Pierre White, "London's rudest chef", and Ramsay's mortal enemy. Cage match, anyone?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the heads-up on this one.
    Should be lots of fun.

8. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

That sounds awesome. ... Agreed on Jen, and I'm glad Petrozza didn't win; all he did the whole season was the garnishes!!

Christina's freakout over the dining room was good TV, also.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not sure if that new Hell's Kitchen is on south of the 49th....check your local listings!

10. I don't know if I'd call Marco Gordon's "enemy." They've disagreed on (silly) stuff, but the respect I'm sure is there on both sides.

Mpaint's been nailing it. The UK version of the show is some of the best TV you'll ever see, and the FOX versions are so much worse it's shocking. In the UK, Ramsay redoes the menu, works with existing chefs, and makes a difference (sometimes) from the inside-out. In the US, FOX buys a brand new kitchen for them to work with.

The only time I saw something like that was in a recent UK version, where he bought a new kitchen setup for a cutlery that wasn't used to cooking to order.

I learned my lesson this season, and only watched half of the penultimate episode of Hell's Kitchen, and the final. That's it. And all the FOX edits (which are way more obvious on their version of Kitchen Nightmares, by the way) were all over the place. A cook (that's what they are, let's face it) is screwing up the fish station, Ramsay/another cook will snap at him over it, and then there's a quick shot of the cook whining under his breath about needing to be left alone.

Is the cook at the fish station? No, he's working on risotto. They have to splice the bitching in with the moaning to make the entire night look like one big bitch and moan fest.

Don't get me wrong. I've worked in kitchens. I grew up around chefs. It is a bitch and moan fest. But the edits on that show are just infuriating at times.

Last year's group, every damn week, would screw up the same three dishes: beef wellington, scallops, risotto. Same dishes. These are cooks, barely.

I'm not much of a Top Chef fan, either. These chefs are quite talented and obviously informed, but they haven't learned that simplicity is what the Michelin people are after. Basically because they're insecure. It takes a real odd mindset to want to be on TV, competing and living in a condo with 11 other people, and putting up with pathetic product placement "challenges." And that mindset usually leads to insecurity and a lack of confidence despite plenty of outward bluster, which leads to 49 extra ingredients on a plate.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hey I didn't call this Marco guy Ramsay's enemy, the promo people did. I'd never heard of him. And the premise of this show - turning celebrities into chefs - may be even more ridiculous than the Hell's Kitchen FOX shows.

I am a big fan of the UK Kitchen Nightmares. Ramsay cares a whole lot more than he does in the FOX version, where you're right, they just give the place a makeover and be done with it.

12. I was quibbling with the promo, not you.

And I'm wrong anyway (or closer to it). I forgot about the wedding deal with Ramsay. I thought it was more in reference to Marco putting that picture of Ramsay in his book, and those two going back and forth over the merits of a Whopper.

Draft saved Draft deleted