1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone watching Fox News?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ucacm, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

PC, people DO look away from good car chases. Viewers will not absolutely be glued to one, good or otherwise.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Some people do, but many, many people love that stuff. Just waiting to see how it ends. Totally agree with PC.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And remember, we get the ratings on these things. This isn't just idle guessing by news managers. Numbers go up for an entertaining chase, without fail.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Sorry, PC, this is the most inane question ever, but you don't get overnights emailed to you on the weekends?

As do I.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie, I enjoy a decent car chase. Just waiting for the inevitable ending and hoping nobody innocent gets hurt in the process. If that makes me a scumbag, so be it.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

But I still think that we are dealing with a certain level of ... I don't even know the word for it.

The masses that fall into the "this is what they are showing and it's breaking news so we have to watch it and be mesmerized by it because obviously we are losers if we don't watch what they are putting on our TV. We are not given any other option so we have to watch and like it and not be able to turn away."

Whatever word you want to put on that thought process, I believe that those are the people that make the ratings go up when that shit is put on TV.

I just think that the masses have been brainwashed to the point that they like it because they believed they have no other choice but to like it.

I don't doubt the ratings go up. I'm asking what in the world got us as a society to that point. Is this just a by-product of having three stations way back when?

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Doesn't make you a scumbag. Perhaps I'm the scumbag for not wanting to watch.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I will note that these ramblings are coming from a person that prefers the newspaper over a regular newscast because that way I get to pick and choose which stories I am exposed to. And also from a person that doesn't like to watch the first 10-15 minutes of a newscast because it is just an outline of 10 or so deaths.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I know I'm not a scumbag. It was the bets word I could come up with. :) And I can't stand to watch TV news for the same reason. We have some decent local ones here though, so I watch occasionally.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Just look at all the garbage that people are addicted to in prime time now. You can start with all the empty-calorie reality shows. Living vicariously through those people? C'mon. Doesn't even seem like good entertainment to me. Doesn't enrich the brain or the life experience, either. But the networks keep spooning up this junk, and people keep swallowing it.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Does posting on this thread enrich your brain? Is it a memorable life experience?

12. cortez

cortez Member

Many of the golf courses where I play have Fox News on in the pro shop and the 19th hole. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Draft saved Draft deleted