1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone watching Fox News?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ucacm, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just another one of those TV "news" staples that I abhor. "Car chase? Oh, we've gotta air that!" and "We're doing a story on losing weight. Quick! Get out there and shoot video of fat people walking around!" Lazy bullshit.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was more troubled when the William Macy character shot himself in the head in Boogie Nights.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's worth noting too that, in 2007, a pair of news helicopters in Phoenix collided while covering a chase. Four people died in that one. But, news is news (sigh).

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Faux Fascist Noise showing live suicides on air. Shocking shocking shocking and I am sure utterly accidental.

I want my countree back. This shit never happened before, oh, say, 2008.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And as a result of that tragedy, the five competing stations in town got together and completely revamped they way they use the choppers. Three of the stations now share one chopper, which was both for safety and financial reasons. There are pretty strict rules everyone adheres to so something like that won't happen again.

Coincidentally, this is the last day for the local Fox chopper crew that was overhead for this chase. The station had already decided to get rid of it.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's a relief. When I was working in Arizona, I liked watching the Phoenix stations vs. the mid-sized market schlock I see now. Miss the half-hour football highlight show the NBC station did after Leno in the fall.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast!

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This thread seriously makes me wonder if the viewers really and truly overwhelmingly like to watch this stuff or have we gotten to the point that certain media execs just think that's what the masses want. I also wonder if there is not a certain level of the viewers having the mentality of "Well, this is what they show us, so it has to be what we want" after a time.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, didn't the OJ chase occur while your Rockets were in the NBA finals with NBC doing a split-screen?

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Your memory does serve correctly. However, I do not recall a split screen and I was at a local place with about 500 TVs in it.

What I do recall is turning away from the TVs and going to the restaurant part that didn't have any TVs.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

And yes, the OK example is an extreme one for me personally as it truly did pis me off and I had no interest in seeing that sort of thing.

However, before that day and after, I still have no interest in seeing live car chases on TV.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No one looks away from an entertaining police chase. Viewers absolutely will be glued to a good one.

Having said that... this wasn't a good one. It was on I-10 west of Phoenix. If anyone is familiar with that stretch of highway, it's about 150 miles of an absolutely straight line through desert. There was very little threat posed to anyone. The chase was essentially a close-up shot of a car driving down a freeway for 30+ minutes in the Fox affiliate's noon newscast. (All the action happened after the newscast ended.) I can easily defend coverage of a chase in the heart of a city -- like the one that the choppers were following 5 years ago, leading to the mid-air collision -- but it's hard to justify blowing out a whole newscast for the one today.

There are three stations in Phoenix with noon newscasts, and lately the ratings have been fairly close. I'm very curious to see what the numbers are like. The overnights will be out Monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted