1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone watching Fox News?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ucacm, Sep 28, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Pure, unadulterated bullshit.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I do at the gym sometimes!

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You're right. We all tuned into OJ in the white Bronco with a gun in his hands because we thought there might be a happy ending.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If only he'd pulled the trigger ...

5. PCLoadLetter

Dude, I work in TV news in the market where this happened. Don't fucking tell me someone will get promoted, and there are "sick voyeurs" working in TV news here. you're wrong, and you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

No one wants to see a guy blow his brains out on camera. I'm sitting here thanking my lucky stars that our helicopter was miles away and needed to refuel when the chase started -- otherwise I might well have been in the control room running live coverage at my place.

TV stations cover car chases for the same reason newspapers run slideshows of girls in bikinis on their front pages: because viewers love them. No one turns away -- but no one wants to see it end like this one.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And WHY does no one turn away? Because of all the possible shit scenarios: accidents, pedestrians getting mowed down, shitbox cars getting t-boned.

And I said there were sick voyeurs on both sides of the screen, simply giving the consumer what they want. Why did we have live coverage of the riots after Paterno was fired? Because it was positive news? Same with the UK national championship riots. Or any riots for that matter. This sick country not only loves destruction - they love the possibility of it. Its why Egypt made for such compelling TV last year.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Smith's apology. Pretty sincere.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Budd Dwyer thought that was lame.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The other question to ask is if the local station that was filming this aired it live too? I assume Fox was just picking up a feed from an affiliate or another station in that market but was that feed on the air locally at the time?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's OK cuz the guy was a liberal.

11. PCLoadLetter

No. They took the chase live during their noon newscast, but were in regular programming when the guy shot himself.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I tuned in because it was forced on to the TV I happened to be watching. Had no interest in seeing it and I left the room. It's what I do every time there is a car chase on. Some of us do manage to turn our heads when that stuff comes on.

Draft saved Draft deleted