1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone watching Fox News?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ucacm, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Shep Smith was airing a car chase that ended with a guy getting out of the car, running down a dirt road, pulling out a gun, and shooting himself in the head. All aired live on TV, including the shot to the head and the guy falling to the ground. Shep and the producers are screaming to cut away, but they were too late.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They're on to political talk now, but wow. That's just god-awful.
    Wonder if they'll reference it at all. Also wonder if it'll affect how they handle car chases in the future.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

After break, Shep claimed they were on a five second delay to protect viewers, but I wonder if they somehow were only delayed in the studio. By the time they started screaming to cut away, it was already a few seconds after the guy had shot himself in the head.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Quality apology afterward by Shep -- but that was way beyond inexcusable. Director and producer are going to be extraordinarily lucky if they have jobs at the end of the day.

They had a significant delay and still fucked it up. I was standing in my newsroom watching the live satellite feed -- the same one going into the Fox newsroom. I (unfortunately) watched the guy off himself live... then turned around and saw it on Fox 10 to 20 seconds later.

Putting editorial issues aside -- that network is spectacularly incompetent on the technical production side. Just awful.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Or they'll get promoted. Why do they air car chases? Because people watch car chases. Why do they watch car chases? Because of the possibility of a car crash. On air suicide's like an accident times 10. That's a wet dream for all of the sick voyeurs on both sides of the screen in this country.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Surprised this doesn't happen more often. Unless it's OJ, these car chases have no news value

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He looked like Terrel Owens running a post route. The guy was open. Where was the free safety.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I will self ban here for three months if someone at Fox gets fired for this.

It happened on Channel 5 in LA years ago.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He looked concussed, to be honest. Poor guy.

10. Boom_70

He looked like he was running in sand.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

My sister texted me that she just watched a guy shoot himself on Fox News. The above was essentially what I told her in response. Depending on the national response, the director and producer will either be fired (if enough people start ripping on Fox, they'll be made scapegoats) or promoted (if there's not much outcry). But have no doubt, they got an absolute best-case scenario for what they were airing.

12. Boom_70

Highly doubtful that many SJers would watch FOX News

Draft saved Draft deleted