1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone want to see a guy who is a magnet for money?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The answer is simple and as usual you are overthinking it

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A massive influx of money to an investment leads to a rise in prices. There is only so much gold, there is only so much oil, there are only a certain amount of shares for a given company on the market. I don't see how you can stop speculation.

There are reforms you can do, though, to temper speculation, such as paying in full for an investment at the time of sale rather than on margin. More transparency on who is buying and selling could help temper dramatic changes in prices.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Ragu, I agree that "emerging markets" are still "emerging" for a reason, and I think they often are more hype than substance. I used to invest more often in them, but for every home run, there's a strike 'em out, throw 'em out double play.

I recently bought a couple of European bank stocks, so we are on opposite sides apparently on Europe. My interest in the euro isn't because it's some tremendous place to be, but because I see more upside there than the dollar at this time. People have been talking crisis for a long enough time WRT Europe that there are definitely some values out there.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So simple you can't tell me what it is.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Ragu, while you are here, can you explain your avatar/quote to me? I have tried to figure it out but haven't figured out what you are trying to convey.

6. The Big Ragu

Once again, please take the time to understand commodities markets. They serve a vital function, in allowing end users of those commodities to hedge their prices. That way they are not subject to market fluctuations and they can keep their expenses steady. If not, every time there was a drought, or every time there was world turmoil, or every time there were threats to the dollar being devalued and inflation (what has mostly driven precious metals), a lot of businesses would have to shut their doors.

Once again:

Please read those numbers. You hear about "the speculators," "the speculators," as these boogymen. It's people out there trying to find a witch. When you have conservatively less than $500 billion combined in INVESTMENT in markets (i.e. -- what you call speculation) that combined are worth tens of trillions of dollars, please believe me that you don't have these boogymen single-handedly deciding the prices. Fundamentals decide the prices. Once again, that full link:

http://www.economist.com/node/17465323

Your "reforms to temper speculation" are the same as making pricing of basic commodities non-market based. You are advocating price fixing. And I can point to a lot of history about how catastrophic that is.

And Boom, still waiting for the explanation that disproves the numbers above. Not being snarky. Just don't like when people throw out these "There's the witch" generalizations without reason.

7. The Big Ragu

Stitch, sure. The quote is from this rambling quote John Chaney, the former coach of Temple once gave to a gaggle of reporters. Here it is courtesy of the google: http://daniel-bradley.blogspot.com/2006/03/blind-man-aint-got-no-business-at.html It just cracks me up, especially that sentence which is so profound, yet so nonsensical.

The avatar has changed a few times, but it is a series of photos taken by Jill Greenberg, a photographer, in which she purposely tried to get young children to cry so she could capture them on film. One tactic she used, which was particularly cruel, was to promise the kids candy to get them to sit still, and then right before she was ready to shoot she told them they couldn't have any candy. Some of the photos are kids screaming their heads off. Again, courtesy of the google: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/popup?id=2242810

8. The Big Ragu

Bank stocks in general, have performed well. The earnings are there. I just did four months as a consultant for a European Investment Bank / Private Bank / Asset Manager, and they had a very good year. :)

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

What an awesome rant. I like Chaney a lot more now.

Draft saved Draft deleted