1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone want a Final Four roommate in NOLA?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarlSpackler, Mar 28, 2012.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Uhh, not sure if this is a journalism topic or an anything goes or a new category which has yet to be invented. Anyway, I will be covering the Final Four this weekend, though with a slight catch. Since the deadline for getting credentials came well before my company approved paying for me to stay in NOLA, I did not request a room at the time. I checked with the NCAA this week and they said the media hotel is overbooked. Everywhere else in town prices are even higher than they are during Mardi Gras, which is approximately a zillion dollars per night. Thus, I do not technically have anywhere to stay in New Orleans, though I am in the process of working on some other angles. This is one of them.

If there is anyone that knows they'll have extra room in their room and is willing to accept an interloper, please let me know. In case you're wondering, I shower daily, don't snore, and fart infrequently. You can PM for additional details that prove I'm not some lunatic Kentucky fan, a homeless person or the SportsJournalists.com Killer. I am also very trustworthy. I have not stolen anything since I swiped a baseball card on a dare at age 9. My disappointment in later seeing that the purloined card was "Art Howe, Manager, Houston Astros" turned me away from a life of petty crime.

As an added bonus, I know my way around New Orleans, so I can guarantee you a) drinks at someplace good and b) at least one free dinner, most likely at the restaurant that serves the greatest crackers in the world. No seriously. The crackers are awesome. (Please do not turn that into a Patriot League basketball joke).

Also, if Jim Nantz is reading this: I can help you come up with a hokey catchphrase to utter at the end of Monday night's championship game.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

http://www.stvguesthouse.com/stvguesthouse.com/Welcome.html\

Cheapo hotel down in the Lower Garden (very nice neighborhood) where I used to live. It's a safe, decent place that's very cheap. If you have a car it's 5 minutes to the quarter. If you don't have a car you can walk 5 minutes to the St. Charles trolley and be to the quarter in 15-20 minutes.

If you can't find a roommate you get likely book this place. It's a small hotel down in the neighborhood and it's not on any of the big websites so no one really knows it is there.

3. CarlSpackler

Damn. I have walked past that place like a dozen times without knowing it was a hotel.

REVISION: Thanks to the availability of rooms at the place I always figured was a haunted orphanage, I will only need room assistance on Saturday. (They were sold out for that one).

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's the guy who takes the kidneys of his victims and leaves them dead in the bathtub, right?

5. CarlSpackler

Kentucky fans, or the SportsJournalists.com killer?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

HA! I thought about clarifying but figured it would be funnier if I didn't. I was right. :D Good luck w/Saturday. Odds you stay up all night and go to sleep once you check in Sunday?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No, that's just Care Bear.

As I understand it — I wasn't here for this, so my facts may be confused — 21 is the SportsJournalists.com killer.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

FYI, the coffee shop across the street is frequented by John Goodman. He lives a block or two from it.

9. CarlSpackler

I may crash at Goodman's on Saturday then. I would not be out of my element.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If the roomie's name is Jessica Pare, by all means.

11. Sure, you can stay at my place. I live over on Brier. Brier 2.
    We have a pool and a pond in the back. The pond would be good for you.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I hope Carl gets a room Saturday night, but this has been a good post---funny. I enjoyed reading it. If you happen to bump into Goodman, buy him a beer, tell him your alltime favorite movie football coach was him in Revenge of the Nerds, and he'll roll out the sleeper for you, I bet.

Draft saved Draft deleted