1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone use Priceline.com for flights?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Well, I bit the bullet today and used priceline, out of necessity more than anything else, and so far, I'm quite pleased with the result.

While waiting for my credit card payment to post (thus giving me enough room to make the purchase), the prices of my flights went through the roof. they pretty much doubled from $864 to $1,500+ and I was kinda freaking out.

It pretty much forced me to go to priceline and just accept that I'd probably leave Monday and not arrive until late Tuesday.

But when I booked it, I got it for $861, which was about the average price I saw for my flight over the course of three months (I saw a low of $560, but didn't have the cash available to book it at the time).

Of course, then I was crossing my fingers waiting to see what my flights would be. Turns out, I got one stop each way in Chicago and the long leg of my flight will be on a Boeing 777. My layovers are about an hour and a half each.

I was pretty stunned and really, really happy to not only save almost 50%, but to get really convenient flights.

I may have just gotten lucky this time, but it will definitely make consider using priceline again.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Good luck Pern. In my experience, Priceline's flights have been horrendous. You get tiny ass planes, get stuck in the back row and usually have huge layovers.

As I'm cheap, however, I keep going back again and again.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I recently used Bing.com to find out the best time to book a flight. It used its flight predictor tool and said to wait a week or so. I did, and the price went down by about $50. Two weeks later, the price shot up by $250.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've used Kayak in the past to search for me. I'm looking to go home for the month of October because I'm not sure how busy I will be with work up here and I can make a some good cash for my old snowboard shop and maybe barback a few nights. Considering driving home (CO->NY) but will fly if it's reasonable.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Have you tried bing?

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Just checked it out. Very similar to Kayak. Actually, same price. $198 roundtrip October 1 to October 29. Not bad.

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I highly encourage Kayak. East Coast to the midwest for under $250, and lets you pick the flight times yourself.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I would suggest you go online to UA or AA (whichever you're flying through ORD) and reserve your seat. Now.

Otherwise, with the bulk fares that PL gets, you may be bumped from your flight.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I just purchased a flight to Fort Lauderdale and Hotwire got me, by far, the best price.

The drawback of Hotwire is there is no flexibility on departure/arrival times. Wasn't a huge deal for us as we had no set time going either way.

Draft saved Draft deleted