1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone use iPhone tethering?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Mar 5, 2011.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I've got an iPhone and I also have a broadband card for my laptop, and it's just now occurring to me that I ought to just pay for the tethering with the phone and get rid of the broadband. I play $60 a month for the broadband, and I don't use it that much. It's just a safety net for places without wifi, or when the wifi goes bad.

Looks like right now i'm paying $30 a month for unlimited data (separate from my calling) and if I switch to a $45 a month plan, with a 4 GB limit, I can use the tethering. I checked and I almost never have gone over 1.2 GB over the past year. So, switching to the tethering plan saves me $45 a month (an extra $15 to ATT and minus $60 for my sprint card).

My question is this: Does anyone know what kind of service the tethering is? I don't expect it to be wifi speed, but if it's comparable to a broadband card so it can get me by when I'm without wifi, that's good enough for me.

Oh, the other plus is that the tethering goes with my phone, so I could still use it when I get a new laptop. Currently my laptop has an internal broadband card.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Might want to check to see if there's a way to tether it without upgrading the service. I know Android phones can be tethered rather easily without signing up for some ripoff extra plan.

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I'm not sure what your scruples are like, but if you jailbreak your phone you can do it without having to pay the extra to AT&T.

I've got a couple of friends that have done it. The best part about it is you can essentially turn your iPhone into a wifi hotspot. The best part is keeping your unlimited data.

Green Pois0n ( http://greenpois0n.com/ ) seems to be the popular one among them. I've thought about it, but have an air card issued to me by my paper, so don't really need it, if they ever decide to get rid of them (keeps being talked about) I probably will.

The macrumors.com message board is a good resource for all things iPhone, many of them speak in terms you'll understand (at least I've been able to figure it out)

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just did the tethering. I don't want to mess with the whole jailbreaking thing.

So now I've got an extra $15 a month on my AT&T bill in exchange for eliminating the $60/month Sprint bill for my broadband card. There is a 4 GB limit now on my data, but I only even got to 1 GB of data in one month. Most of the time when I'm using data on my phone, it's somewhere there's wifi. And if I ever do go over the 4 GBs, it's a one-time $10, so that's a heckuva lot better than paying all that I was paying for the Sprint thing, which was really just a fallback that I used maybe 30 times a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted