1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone up for breaking a strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da man, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

17-20 an hour in Philly? I thought strikebreakers got big-time bucks for crossing? That hardly seems worth the effort unless you're unemployed or desperate.

2. badmoon

badmoon Member

Here are the basics, although it is a complicated negotiation.
    This isn't about feather-bedding or holding out for a large raise.
    There hasn't been a significant scale raise in more than a decade
    and none is expected now.

The new owners would like to freeze the pension of all union workers,
    which is an old-fashioned defined benefits plan, and are not offering
    matching contributions to any 401K plan the workers would grab as
    a lifeboat.

The owners are also interested in slashing the health care contribution
    by the company and want to dock workers for taking sick days.

In addition, the owners have indicated that layoffs will take place regardless
    of the contract settlement. If the union submits to major concessions,
    the owners have hinted that the cutbacks might not be as severe, but
    there have been no concrete numbers given either way. Possibly in order
    to make the union blink, the owners have floated a layoff figure of 150 positions
    in meetings with middle-level editors. Everyone agrees that would come almost entirely from the Inquirer (since the Daily News was stripped of staff long ago), and, if accurate, would represent nearly a third of the newsroom workforce.

Until very recently, the owners demanded the freedom to ignore seniority as they
    lay off workers, a move that would target older workers with higher benefits (and
    greater experience to offer the papers, presumably). That just came off the table.

This is a very nasty situation and there could well be a strike. Any support you can offer, in any way, would be appreciated. Speculating on how much one's career could be advanced by working as a scab is not.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Assholes.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

There are a number of Newhouse employees, Ann Arbor News in particular, who have shown in the past they are willing to cross picket lines.

I'm sure they would be up for it. Philly is a lot nicer than Youngstown.

(Posted before reading your response, Slappy. LOL, And go ahead ... name Ed Petykiewicz)

5. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, that was creepy.

7. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

I am who you thought I was. ;) ;)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I mentioned no names, sir or ma'am. I am being nice during this holiday weekend...

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Junkie, I can hear what you're saying, and I think it's a valid point, but if you're calling me out here ("cushy magazine job"), I had the chance to cross a picket line when I was young and broke and looking for a foothold, and I didn't take it.

Not then, not now, not ever.

10. One of my old SE's was a scab during the Daily News strike in the early 1980s. He hasn't been able to move out of his shitty job for about a decade now, and I know part of the reason he has been shut out of a few jobs has been his scabbing.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

One of the most vivid memories of my childhood was my dad coming home each night after standing on the picket line in freezing temperatures and telling stories about why he and his peers were on strike and what winning (and losing) would mean for them.

I'll quit my job and work double shifts at Applebee's before I ever cross a picket line.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Junkie, while I understand your position -- and I wouldn't judge anyone who felt desperate enough (or whose situation was desperate enough) to cross a picket line -- I can unequivocally say that I would never do it. I would find something else, anything else, and scrap until I found something better. That's an important principle to me.

My financial situation is not enough for me to compromise -- I have been flat-broke before, and survived. I could do it again. But I won't cross a picket line.

Draft saved Draft deleted