1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone up for breaking a strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da man, Nov 21, 2006.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes it is. I responded to a flippant response to my post (which sought support for the Phildelphia Guild workers) and for some unknown reason you decided you needed to jump into the fray.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I was hoping we could keep this one thread civil without getting nasty about it. My bad.

If you look back earlier in the thread, you'll see everyone was succeeding pretty well.

3. cranberry

I've read through the thread, Shot, and I'll let you know if I ever think that you'd be a good person to mediate a dispute I have with another poster. Again, my post was in response to someone else's. I don't like scabs. I will NEVER like scabs and I certainly would never hire someone who had scabbed because it demonstrates a very basic character flaw.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Your call. Just as assuredly as I'll reply to any post I want to.

5. cranberry

I'm sure you will. And I'm equally sure you'll come off like an annoying crank while you're at it, just like this time. So post away on company time. As an aside, I've read your weak-ass posts on labor issues too many times over the years to think you're some neutral party trying to maintain civility on the issue.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

So much for that. Thank you.

7. busuncle

busuncle Member

I apologize if my response was flippant. It goes without saying that I wish the best to my colleagues in Philadelphia. However, I stand by my opinion that a strike would be a monumentally bad decision.

8. cranberry

No problem. I don't mind a little give-and-take on issues even if it makes Grandpa Shotty a little nervous. The fact is that a strike might be the only choice the employees have left. Do you think they should just wave goodbye to their pensions without putting up a fight?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Best of luck to all those in Philly who might have to strike.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

All right. Jesus. I'm sorry. I'll never throw my two cents in again unless it's something you want to hear.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

"Best of luck" is one thing. But busuncle's right: Newspaper strikes don't exactly have a sterling record of success lately.

The choice isn't between "don't strike, then lose your pension" and "strike and get what you want."

It's between "don't strike, then lose your pension" and "strike and lose everything."

It's not a very palatable choice. It'd be more palatable if you could point to a successful newspaper strike in the past few years.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Closest I can think of, M_W, was Wilkes-Barre ... and that was because the strikers broke off and created their own newspaper which has lasted 20-some years.

Draft saved Draft deleted