1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone up for breaking a strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da man, Nov 21, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

From Romanesko:

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=13436

Get your scab resumes ready.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, here's the ad.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?sc=&CiBookMark=1&sd=&dv=dv&sfascc=newspaper+reporters+temporary&IPath=ILK&sname=&job_did=J3I56G61FLZB22043WS&jrdid=&lpage=1&pg=&jobcount=1&strcrit=QID%3dA6653274765677%3bst%3dA%3buse%3dALL%3brawWords%3dnewspaper+reporters+temporary%3bCID%3dUS%3bSID%3dALL%3bTID%3d0%3bENR%3dNO%3bDTP%3dDRNS%3bYDI%3dYES%3bIND%3dALL%3bPDQ%3dAll%3bJN%3dAll%3bPAYL%3d0%3bPAYH%3dGT120%3bPOY%3dNO%3bETD%3dALL%3bRE%3dALL%3bMGT%3dDC%3bSUP%3dDC%3bFRE%3d3%3bCHL%3dAL%3bQS%3dSID_UNKNOWN%3bSS%3dNO%3bTITL%3d0%3bJQT%3dRAD

Wow, that's a long link.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Naaa, think I'll pass. Best of luck to Philly's workers in their showdown.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is the wildest ad I have ever seen. Some schmuck in college will probably think this is their lucky day and take them up on it only to be blackballed for the rest of their lives.
    I also enjoy the part about "out-of-town work" like that is the coolest thing ever. I enjoy a work trip every now and again, but generally road trips for work mean a whole lot of work and not a vacation like most people seem to think it is.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

This guy says go for it.

[​IMG]

6. deadliner

deadliner Member

Can't imagine taking a job under those circumstances.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe they can hire the people who went into Youngstown...
    I know people who scabbed there, then denied it. Maybe they can deny it again

8. slap -- No mention of high-priced columnists who wrestle with their consciences over JOA's and...?

9. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

as a lifelong gannetteer, i've never worked in a union shop. but i could never cross a picket line.

my moms has been a union official in ny for most of her career. she'd kill me.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Forgot about that... was thinking more along the lines of an executive editor of a to-be-nameless Midwest mid-sized daily, currently in the seventh month of a sports editor search who was called on a landline in the Youngstown Vindicator. When asked to confirm he was in Youngstown, he refused. Then he was reminded that he was on the house phone and not his cell phone and was pretty well busted.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I feel bad for most people in New Orleans affected by Katrina, but not those people which we speak of in this thread.

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

What if you're a freelancer, and you don't work for them full-time?
    Not sure if that's an option ...
    Would you still be blackballed?

Draft saved Draft deleted