1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone still watching Friday Night Lights?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Msaint

Msaint Member

Fair enough. But, hey, at least this awful show's thread allowed you to make the James Van Der Beek joke that's been wanting out of your arsenal for some time now.

2. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Count me in as another big fan. I watch every week with my teenage son. Gives us something to talk about, which isn't always easy.

I hope the move to a new day hasn't hurt too much in the ratings department. That's usually the kiss of death.

3. It's entirely believable that a hotshot HS coach in Texas should be on the radar of a bigtime D-1 like the Longhorns and draw some interest. FYI, Mack Brown did a cameo in the pilot, but he was playing a Dillon booster, not himself. Got rave reviews, too, for adlibbing the kind of crazy-assed comments he's probably heard millions of times from fanboy hangers-on.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Show is OK.....the music to that show totally kicks ass.

I don't know who it is, but it is very, very good.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought it was another good episode this week, though I thought Tim's mea culpa with Tyra was a little out of left field, especially since he'd just been looking longingly at Lyla the previous day at practice. Obviously it was a nice parrellel for the writers, to have Tyra prove that she's not all that different from her mother, but in the end, a little stronger too.

Coach Taylor and his wife continue to be the best part of the show. That really was a great scene when Julie told them she loved them, and he smiled and his wife freaked out. Great stuff.

Also, I completely agree on the music. Whomever the music editor is for this show is kicking ass.

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

It is not to improbably to go from a high school coach to a major D-@ school.

After all, Gerry Faust did it.

7. Good call on the music. The music editor is W.G. "Snuffy" Walden, one of the best in the industry. Got his start with Thirtysomething, won an Emmy for The West Wing, has done a bunch of great stuff (music, not necessarily the show), including Felicity, Early Edition, My So-Called Life, I'll Fly Away, SportsNight, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Surface, Boomtown, you get the idea ...

8. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

some of the bands that have had music on friday night lights:
    the black keys
    spoon
    drive-by truckers
    tv on the radio
    the gourds
    iron & wine
    that's just off the top of my head.

and of course, the score is by explosions in the sky.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

add the heartless bastards, too -- shocked me when i heard them on an episode

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I want to bump this up. I'm hoping it's the most recent thread.

I watch far too many of the new shows, and I haven't found anything as rewarding as this. I had my doubts about this show, but it's excellent. The character development is phenomenal, and these youngsters are kicking ass. You're seeing the new wave of great actors. Some of these people will become huge after they leave the show and start doing top-flight films.

And that kid is going to walk again. I don't know when or how, but it's going to happen. I think they will pull it off without a hitch. It won't be contrived, and it won't be over-played. It'll be subtle, and it will happen over a series of episodes. There will be toe twitches and knee bends, and I'm going to bawl like a little baby when it happens.

My wife didn't watch for a few weeks, and she loves some of the people who are now in the show. She can't get enough of the other parapalegic guy.

There's so much about this show that reminds of the way things truly are in high school football.

That Matt kid, by the way, is one of the best actors I've ever seen. I'd be shocked to see him walk into a bar and act completely different because I'm convinced that he's not acting, that he really is the guy he plays.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes to all of the above.

and the fact that i heart connie britton (coach's wife) and minka kelly (paralyzed qb's girlfriend) has little to do with why i like the show so much. well, maybe more than little. but it's terrific even when neither is on screen.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

minka kelly is reason enough to watch the show. waa waa wee waa.

Draft saved Draft deleted