1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone still watching Friday Night Lights?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

The wife and I went away from this show for a while after it got really depressing, but we got sucked back in when they showed several episodes around Christmas. Now we're hooked again.

IIRC, the coach was asked if he would be interested in the job, but I'm not sure an offer was implied. And it's not that much of a stretch, because wasn't Mack Brown at their first game or something? This coach developed Street, and then he made Saracen from a scrub into a viable "QB1" for a playoff-caliber team. That's good enough to make me suspend disbelief.

2. Msaint

Msaint Member

If he wants a bigtime offensive coaching gig, Taylor should first get some experience running a bed & breakfast.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Might get him a coaching gig, but hardly bigtime

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm glad to see so many people stuck with this show, because it really has exceeded my expectations like I can see it did with a lot of you. For the knocks on the football scenes I have no defense, no more buzzer beating wins. Saracen can pull off the drive for all I care, but leave :58 seconds on the clock after the score. As for the other criticisms, some of the storylines are kind of cliched, but that's because there are only so many storylines you can have with high school football. What this show has done well is taken cliched storylines and put a different spin on them. The only one that, judging by next week's previews, might just be a straight cliche is the steroids. In fact, Smash is pretty much a walking cliche, but he started to show a little something with this new girl that went beyond being the star running back.

The way they handled the dad returning from Iraq was great. At first he seemed like he might be over the top snapping at everything and being all about finishing the war, then he seemed like he might be going the other way and changing his views and seeing that his family was more important and it looked like they may live happily ever after. But then this week he was somewhere inbetween which seemed right. He wants to be there for his family, but it's obvious this is not his life. I love that gray area. I think that's what this show does well.Every character has different sides to them, and that's what makes them realistic.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

I watched it for the first time Wedensday night. I thought it was awful. I kept waiting for James Van Der Beek to come into a scene, but he never did.

6. Msaint

Msaint Member

Good sample size.

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I've seen three or four episodes and have been surprised by the quality of the show (and the eye candy).

I'm not home enough at night to get into any network show, but this was much better than I expected.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

as an aficionado on all things connie, she ain't no milf. for all i know or fantasize about, she's a virgin -- never married, no kids. she's holding out for me, obviously.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Very good show. Right now, it might be the best drama on network TV. Compelling characters, well acted. Reasonable plot lines. Movie-quality camerawork and music. Sure, some of the football stuff is a bit unrealistic, but a couple of episodes in, they made the wise decision to make not-really-about-football anyway.
    But, like every show about high school kids, I think they'll have a hard time sustaining some of the plot arcs. And unlike most high school shows, this one's gritty and real. So suspension of disbelief about plot reality is not part of the understanding.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

Yeah, I know, when you hate something you always run back to it. One show was enough for me.

11. BlacknGold

BlacknGold Member

That...is hilarious.

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Well-played. I hope I'm not the only one who got it.

Draft saved Draft deleted