1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone still watching Friday Night Lights?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well, since I haven't covered college (at least on a regular basis) or hs football ever, I suppose I wouldn't know for sure. It just seemed odd to go from a little ass high school one year, to a pretty high profile, valuable position at a top 5 in the country school the next. Even if it rang true, you'd think he'd at least start somewhere like Baylor, or Louisiana-Lafayette or something.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Might be a bit of a stretch. Are we sure it was the Longhorns they were talking about? A TCU or SMU job might be more believable.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Right, but he said UT. And there, that doesn't mean the University of Tampa.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't a HS coach get the OC job at Arkansas?

I don't think HC of a state power to QB coach at a major school is that huge of a jump...

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Again, especially if you have shown the ability to make a quarterback.

6. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I should've prefaced with the fact I've never watched the show, I guess.

It just seemed a little cheesey to me, I guess. It wasn't a political statement on my part, nor did I perceive it that way. I just think it's silly when writers, whether song or sitcom, try to play that card. It's so disingenious (sp?)

I have no idea about the relationship there.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

To me, the only part of it that doesn't ring true is that the coach would get the offer now. You would think they would have offered him the job when he had a stud QB so it could be similiar to the Mustain/Malzahn two-for-one deal.

9. Msaint

Msaint Member

All the scenes with Coach Taylor and his wife are priceless. This past week, when their daughter comes home from Saracen's trainwreck of a living situation and, unprovoked, tells them she loves them and "they're the best parents in the world", the separate reactions were so true to life: coach (the man) smiles, internally pats himself on the back, thinking he's the shit, while the missus (woman) is petrified, immediately hops up, runs out of room after daughter because she knows that the ONLY reason a teenager would ever say something that honest and emotional to his/her parents without provocation is if something's drastically wrong. Just a great bit of writing AND subtle acting. And, for me, that's what sets this apart from all the other network dreck -- the writing is smart, dead-on real for that age group (vs. OC, Dawson's, etc....granted OC is basically a comedy, so the genres are different) and the acting isn't ever overblown. If I have one criticism: the football scenes are the weak link of the show -- seems like they're in a "Dillon wins in the waning seconds on fluke plays" rut -- but they're at least above average for TV and movies (see "Given Sunday, Any").

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Aah, Connie Britton, MILF galore. She's better looking now than she ever has been.

And it isn't stretch for a high school coach to jump to a D1 assistant job. Chuck Smith won 5 straight state titles at Boyle County, had his team in a sixth title game then went to coach linebebackers at UK. No, it's not Texas, but it's still D1.

I love the show. The only part I can't stand is the Jason in a wheelchair stryline. Seems like they had to throw everthing imaginable in there.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'll echo, great show. And for those who can't watch it or don't have TiVo or a VCR, NBC.com has all of the episodes stored there to watch for free. I usually watch the next morning when I have some time and a warm cup of coffee.

I really, really like the dynamic developing between Julie and Matt, though was it just me or was Julie about to dump Matt last week and had a sudden change of heart? Connie Britton is terriffic and I really like Kyle Chandler as the coach.

Love the fact, too, that Smash can't just get any girl he wants ... he's going to have to work to get the Waverly. Haha. I'm curious to see if he sticks with it.

The only storyline I really didn't like was the predictable "dangers of steroids" twist. Eh, I could have done without it.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think you're remembering "All The Right Moves" Where Craig T Nelson goes from HS HC to D1 DB coach and takes Tom Cruise with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted