1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone still using bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 4, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The only site I have bookmarked is this one -- well, it's actually saved as my home page -- and I can't remember the last time I bookmarked one. Just looked, and the only page bookmarked is one my wife uses. I can type most web addys just about as fast as I can get to them on a pull-down menu, and there are only five or six I visit with any regularity, so I've dispensed with the bookmarking.

What about you guys? Bookmark, or no bookmark?

2. chester

chester Member

Use them on my work computer. Just easier to jump around to different pages when I need to pull up information for a story.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes, use them all the time.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

As do I, now more than ever.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Use them on the work computer. I've got a couple dozen newspapers, some school and conference sites, general stuff like ESPN.com, and some fun stuff with long addresses I've found once and will never find again without them. In all, probably 60 or 70 pages. I'd never remember them all.

On the home computer, though, bookmarking is a pain in the ass for some reason. Don't use it as much there, just rely on the location bar to help me.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I do. Generally, it's for different blogs related to my beat.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Same here. With Firefox, you can "bookmark" the different Web sites on your browser, under the address bar. I've got 15 sites there -- 10 I check each day -- and anything I use on a consistent basis for work and any other site I find pretty interesting -- 35 sites -- is bookmarked.

So, yes. Yes, I do use bookmarks.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I inspired the name for that site.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Bookmarks are handy for launching an array of pages in a tabbed group. Best way to start a work day. Also, for assigning keywords or abbreviations. When I want to go here, I just type "sjbb" and I'm instantly transported to a land of illusion.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

You don't even want to see the series of bookmarks I have in my eBay folder [yes...the number of bookmarks warrants its own folder].

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If that were true, wouldn't your handle be Intheriver?

Draft saved Draft deleted